[comp.sys.sequent] CDC 9720-1230 formatting info?

pwolfe@kailand.KAI.COM (01/05/89)

Has anybody installed and formatted CDC 9720-1230 1.2 Gb disk drives
on their Sequent system?

I am interested in obtaining any modifications made to the files in
the /usr/sys directories neccessary to run zdformat on these drives
successfully, as well as reliability information on these drives.

They are 8 inch drives, which means two will fit in place of a
Fujitsu Eagle, and National Peripheral has quoted me $8,870 for the
complete kit including one drive, mounting tray and cables, which is
about $870 more than I paid for a 690 Mb Fujitsu M2344K swallow-4
last summer.

Patrick Wolfe
System Manager, Kuck and Associates, Inc.
Internet:  pat@kai.com
UUCP:      {uunet,sequent,uiucuxc}!kailand!pat

stan@hydra.gatech.EDU (Stan Corbin) (01/05/89)

In article <2400030@kailand> pwolfe@kailand.KAI.COM writes:

>Has anybody installed and formatted CDC 9720-1230 1.2 Gb disk drives
>on their Sequent system?
>
>I am interested in obtaining any modifications made to the files in
>the /usr/sys directories neccessary to run zdformat on these drives
>successfully, as well as reliability information on these drives.
>
>Patrick Wolfe

We just installed four of them, and have four more on order.  Once we
got our cabling straightened out, they've worked just fine.  The
formatted capacity is 1.04 Gb which allows a file system of about 988K
with the default number of inodes.  They've only been running for a few
days, so I can't give you any reliability information yet.

We obtained the mods to zdformat, etc. from Sequent as a special product,
so I don't think I can redistribute them.  I suggest you contact your
sales rep.
--
Stan Corbin					       stan@prism.gatech.edu
Office of Computing Services			       ...!gatech!prism!stan