[comp.sys.sequent] Dynix releases

gerrit@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit Huizenga) (01/11/89)

In article <8571@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) writes:

>[ Aren't 3.0.4 and 3.0.14 the last Balance releases?  I thought
>  3.0.12 was a Symmetry release.  Or am I really confused. ]
>
>Anyone know when the next Symmetry update is coming out?
>
>----------------
>Paul M. Aoki
>CS Division, Dept. of EECS // UCB // Berkeley, CA 94720		(415) 642-1863
>aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU					...!ucbvax!aoki

Dynix releases as I know them...

3.0.12 for the Symmetry, and 3.0.14 for the Balance are *almost*
equivilant releases.  The differences are those needed to make 3.0.12
work on the balance.  There is also a release 3.0.15 which contains
the hard quotas which I believe we are beta testing.  I haven't yet
had a chance to bring up this release yet.

There *may* also be a release in the future which incorporates some
of the Purdue local modifications which include Dave Stevens' 4.3
Tahoe/Van Jacobsen network improvements and various other bug fixes
and 4.3 enhancements for the kernel.  Purdue has also ported/merged
many/most of the 4.3 BSD user level programs to Dynix.  In short,
the local version of Dynix is much closer to 4.3.

Gerrit Huizenga, Purdue University Computing Center
gh3@mentor.cc.purdue.edu