[comp.sys.sequent] bug in Dynix C compiler.

eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu (Edmund C. Lam) (01/03/89)

I found a C compiler bug in the balance C compiler.  We don't have software
support, but here is the bug warning for anyone listening.

Dynix V3.0.12 Oct 5/88.
Category: Software
System Type: Balance
Id: 51079 24576 /bin/cc  (Feb 6/88)
 The following structure definition causes /bin/cc to complain about a
 C syntax error:

 struct foo {
      int private;
 };

 The bug is triggered by the keyword "private" inside a structure
 declaration.  Using "private" outside a structure is fine.

 This bug was found while building XV11R3 (xdm client).

 The easy solution is to change declarations of "private" to something else.

BTW:
 Does anyone know sequent's bug report mail address?  I just want to make
 /usr/bin/mailbug work.   Thanks.
--
        -Edmund C. Lam    (University of Waterloo)
	<eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu>

aoki@faerie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (01/04/89)

In article <ECLAM.89Jan3081428@maytag.waterloo.edu> eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu (Edmund C. Lam) writes:
>Dynix V3.0.12 Oct 5/88.
>Category: Software
>System Type: Balance

[ Aren't 3.0.4 and 3.0.14 the last Balance releases?  I thought
  3.0.12 was a Symmetry release.  Or am I really confused. ]

Anyone know when the next Symmetry update is coming out?

> Does anyone know sequent's bug report mail address?  I just want to make
> /usr/bin/mailbug work.

I believe tektronix!sequent!pts works.
----------------
Paul M. Aoki
CS Division, Dept. of EECS // UCB // Berkeley, CA 94720		(415) 642-1863
aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU					...!ucbvax!aoki

arosen@hawk.ulowell.edu (MFHorn) (01/05/89)

> I found a C compiler bug in the balance C compiler.
>
>  The following structure definition causes /bin/cc to complain about a
>
>  struct foo {
>       int private;
>  };
>
>  The bug is triggered by the keyword "private" inside a structure
>  declaration.  Using "private" outside a structure is fine.
>
>  The easy solution is to change declarations of "private" to something
>  else.

In Dynix C, 'private' is a reserved word.  It's used with the parallel
processing libraries.  There is another reserved word called 'shared'.
Their both added variable types.  The above example is thus equivalent

  struct foo {
    int long;
  };

I'm surprised it allows you to use 'private' as a variable name at all,
even outside a structure.  I once tried to use 'auto' as a local variable
name, and it didn't accept that.

--
Andy Rosen           | arosen@hawk.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I
ULowell, Box #3031   | ulowell!arosen          |  learned how to make it

ianj@sequent.UUCP (Bruce) (01/19/89)

Dynix 3.0.12 is latest Symmetry Release.

Dynix 3.0.14 is latest Balance Release.

To report problems via 'mailbug' you should add "pts:uunet!sequent!pts"
to /usr/lib/aliases, or call Sequent Service (800-854-9969) to get a
direct connect if you have a Service Contract.
--
Ian Johnstone				uunet!sequent!ianj
Sequent Computer Systems