[comp.sys.sequent] Fortran compilers

vonb@iitmax.IIT.EDU (bob von borstel) (01/21/89)

In article <420@execu.UUCP> keith@execu.UUCP (Keith Pyle) writes:

 >Our company has just installed a Sequent that will become our primary
 >software development machine.  On browsing about, I was unhappy to note
 >that Sequent uses the Silicon Valley Software (SVS) Fortran compiler.
 >We had to use their Fortran on a 386 Unix box a few months back and
 >I've got a number of complaints about it.  So, before I start frothing
 >at the mouth too much, is this the only Fortran in use on Sequents out
 >there?  I hear that another compiler is due out of Sequent Real Soon Now,
 >but no word on whether it is another wonderful SVS product or not.

I agree with you on the problems with SVS Fortran compiler, especially
with passing character data.  I finished a port of over 500K lines of
Fortran to the Sequent using the Edinburgh Portable Compiler (epcf77),
a company located in Edinburgh, England, 17 Alva Street, EH2 4PH.
tel - 031 - 225 6262.

Although the compiler I had was a Beta version, I was quite happy with
it's performance and it got the job done.  Suggest you talk to your
Sequent marketing rep.

This was on a Symmetry model by the way.  They haven't ported the compiler
to the Balance at that time.

--

robert von borstel / iit-acc / 10 W 31st St / Chicago, Ill  60616
bitnet : sysbvb@iitvax   (312) 567-5962