[comp.sys.sequent] gettytab

dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (02/01/89)

I've been trying to get our indial lines to work on a round robin set of
baud rates, (9600, 1200, 2400, 19200) and haven't been having any luck.
I've been using the gettytab entries below, with the /etc/ttys entries
set to begin with 1V.  It appears I can get most any individual speed to
work just fine, but I can't seem to get the init/getty to notice a break
and move to the next table.  These entries work exactly right on a Sun,
and I don't see anything that's against TFM.  Anyone out there done this,
and if so, is there something I'm missing?  Any help would be appreciated.

Gettytab entries are:
T|C1200:\
        :nx=C2400:fd#1:sp#1200:ht:
U|C2400:\
        :nx=C19200:sp#2400:ht:
V|C9600:\
        :nx=C1200:sp#9600:ht:
W|C19200:\
        :nx=C9600:sp#19200:ht:

| There is nothing in the above message that can't be explained by sunspots.  |
|                   execu!dewey             Dewey Henize                      |
|         Can you say standard disclaimer?  I knew you could.  Somehow...     |

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (02/03/89)

In article <423@execu.UUCP> dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) writes:
>I've been trying to get our indial lines to work on a round robin set of
>baud rates, (9600, 1200, 2400, 19200) and haven't been having any luck.

Same here.  Never did get it to work.  It's been awhile, but I seem
to remember that successive BREAK commands would cycle up through
the baud rates, but as soon as it got to 9600 (or was it 19200?)
it would stick.  Personally, I think it's a problem with the Systeks.

If you're trying to interface your tty lines to Telebits, try locking
the interface speed at 9600 (if data integrity is a must) or 19200
(if you don't mind a few dropped characters).

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!fai!ronc -or- ronc@fai.com

dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (02/03/89)

In article <423@execu.UUCP> dewey@execu.UUCP (Dewey Henize) [ME] writes:
>I've been trying to get our indial lines to work on a round robin set of
>baud rates, (9600, 1200, 2400, 19200) and haven't been having any luck.
>I've been using the gettytab entries below, with the /etc/ttys entries
>set to begin with 1V.  It appears I can get most any individual speed to
>work just fine, but I can't seem to get the init/getty to notice a break
>and move to the next table.  These entries work exactly right on a Sun,
>and I don't see anything that's against TFM.  Anyone out there done this,
[details of what I tried omitted]

Since posting, I've recieved a note from a person at Sequent and have talked
to them on the phone.  It appears this is a known bug, but get this -
THERE'S A KNOWN FIX!  I know, I know, no big deal to many of you, but with
the frustrations those of us in multi-vendor sites often experience, its
really nice to come across this occasionally.  Anyhow, there's a fix tape
on the way.

As an nice side note, while discussing the problem with the person from
Sequent, we were able to also bring up and handle a few other issues that
I wasn't real sure about in their implementation.  In the whole discussion,
I never got the feeling that the person was trying to just shunt me off and
move on, but instead felt that the issue to me and to them was to get the
problems resolved.  Nice to run into.

Dewey Henize
Execucom Systems Corp