Does this sound familiar to anyone?  If anyone out there has installed
BIND 4.8 without problems, let me know so I can go quietly insane.
----------------
Paul M. Aoki
CS Division, Dept. of EECS // UCB // Berkeley, CA 94720		(415) 642-1863
aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU					...!ucbvax!aoki

aoki@faerie.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) (02/10/89)

From: iglesias@ORION.CF.UCI.EDU
> 								Did
> you create a world-readable /etc/resolv.conf?  The code needs
> that to work properly, I think.

From the "Name Server Operations Guide to BIND, Release 4.8":
> To set up a host that will use a remote server instead of a local server to
> answer queries, the file /etc/resolv.conf needs to be created.  This file
> designates the name servers on the network that should be sent queries.  It
> is not advisable to create this file if you have a local server running.

Needless to say, it's pretty advisable to create the file whether you have a
local server running or not -- so much for RTFM.  Thanks, Mike.

OK, so BIND does work practically out of the box.  Another blow struck in the
battle to eliminate YP in our lifetime ..

[ p.s. For anyone who was wondering: we never did get the Fujitsu M2372s to
  work.  The boss-man said, "This isn't worth it," and traded the 2372s in for
  2382s (Swallow 5s). ]
----------------

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (02/10/89)

In article <9651@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> aoki@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Paul M. Aoki) writes:

>Does this sound familiar to anyone?  If anyone out there has installed
>BIND 4.8 without problems, let me know so I can go quietly insane.

Have fun with your insanity then ...

In the hopes that I might help in sidestepping some insanity here is
the file I wrote talking about the installation processes.

******************  Instructions for installing BIND onto the Math Sciences
******************  systems at the U of Kentucky.

Into ~src/add.to.dist/ultrix/named:

	Doc:   bind<ver>/doc
	Man:   bind<ver>/man
	.:     bind<ver>/named

	Make sure -DSTATS and -DDEBUG are set.
	Add -I/usr/src/local/inet/Include to CFLAGS=
	Add -lresolv to RES=
	Remove "tools" from SUBDIR because that directory is elsewhere.
	Remove dependencies on /usr/include/machine/machparam.h because
		that's apparently a 4.3bsd-tahoe-ism that doesn't exist
		on our machines.
	Same goes for /usr/include/net/if_arp.h.
	Change install: to install to /usr/etc/named.

Into ~src/inet/Bin: bind<ver>/bin/*

Into ~src/inet/LibResolv:   bind<ver>/res/*    (recursive)

	DO NOT RUN mkdep ON Ultrix SINCE IT DOESN'T HAVE "cc -M"

	Create Makefile by taking Makefile.resolv to start with.
	Take the .c.o: rule from Makefile (move Makefile to Makefile.noresolv
	first).  Create a libresolv_p.a rule like:

		libresolv_p.a: ${OBJS}
			cd profiled; ar cru ../libresolv_p.a ${OLBS}

	Fix install: to install libresolv_p.a, and to install things
	into /lib instead of /usr/lib.

	Fix the gethostnamadr.o: and sethostent.o: tags to match
	the .c.o: rule above.

	Make	all: libresolv.a libresolv_p.a
	Add -I../Include to DEFS=

Into ~src/inet/Include:     bind<ver>/include
	Put a Makefile there like:

> all:
>
> install:
> 	install -c -m 444 -o bin -g bin netdb.h /usr/include/local
> 	install -c -m 444 -o bin -g bin resolv.h /usr/include/local
>
> clean:

Into ~src/inet/nslookup:    bind<ver>/tools/nslookup

	In Makefile, RES= -lresolv, CFLAGS+= -I../Include
	Disable the depend: tag
	Fix install: to install to /usr/local/etc, and not to
		install man pages directly to /usr/man but to
		use addman instead.
	Change main.c to reference /usr/local/etc/nslookup.help
		for the help file.

Adding other stuff to ~src/inet:

	Make sure that -lresolv and -I../Include are used
	at appropriate places in the Makefiles.
--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET