[comp.sys.sequent] <None>

4034_406@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/28/89)

Does anyone know of a Modula-2 compiler for Sequent
(Symmetry) machines? I would prefer one that gives
convenient access to the parallel programming library
(or otherwise allows the development of ``true''
parallel programs).

- Robin Nicholl
  Computer Science,
  U.W.O., London
  Canada N6A 5B7

  (UUCP: robin@uwocsd.uwo.ca)

hanst@htsa.uucp (Fearfull Flambert) (03/02/89)

In article <1745@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4034_406@uwovax.uwo.ca (Robin Nicholl) writes:

> Does anyone know of a Modula-2 compiler for Sequent
> (Symmetry) machines? I would prefer one that gives
> convenient access to the parallel programming library
> (or otherwise allows the development of ``true''
> parallel programs).

About one year ago, we (Frans van Otten and Hanst Trompert) started developing
a Modula-2 compiler (this was our final graduation-project).  The compiler
is not yet finished, but we expect to have a first working version in some
months from now (at most).  We are developing it on a Sequent Balance.

It is our intention to make the compiler able to use C- and compatible
libraries, so that you can use all parallel-control C-routines.  Which
also means that 'low level modules' (such as InOut) are actually C-libraries.

--
                    Hans Trompert
                    Algemene Hogeschool Amsterdam