[comp.sys.sequent] Gnuemacs, X11, and Sequents

doyle@riacs.edu (Dee Doyle) (03/15/89)

I am having trouble running Gnuemacs 18.53 (X11 upgrade) on a Sequent Balance.

It seems that when Gnu Emacs is not the process group leader, and is talking
over a socket to an X server it does not receive SIGIOs even though a call
to setpgrp() has been made.

Can anyone give me information that would confirm or deny this?  Are
there known bugs in the SIGIO fcntl?  Are there patches - or do we
have to hack up the source to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Dee

doyle@riacs.edu

rich@sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill) (03/19/89)

In article <1326@hydra.riacs.edu> doyle@hydra.riacs.edu.UUCP (Dee Doyle) writes:
>I am having trouble running Gnuemacs 18.53 (X11 upgrade) on a Sequent Balance.

>Can anyone give me information that would confirm or deny this?  Are
>there known bugs in the SIGIO fcntl?  Are there patches - or do we
>have to hack up the source to fix it?

No.  add (set-input-mode nil nil) to your
/usr/local/emacs/lisp/default.el.  rms points out that this is likely
(and does) prevent C-g from being a true interrupt but at least it is
usable.

Consider this a workaround until (the non-existant time when) sequent
comes up to 4.3.
--
rich.