[comp.sys.sequent] Questions about Sequent

jimd@gssc.UUCP (James DePorter) (04/13/89)

In article <52535@uunet.UU.NET>, rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:
> In article <63900002@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu>, bob@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> > the support folks at sequent are reasonable people who treat any problem you
> > encounter as THEIR problem and resolution is quick.
>
> Sorry, I can't let this go by unchallenged.
>
> Maintenance is an interesting issue. Sequent's hardware is so reliable
> and their software support so marginal that it is extremely tempting to
> do without a maintenance contract at all.  (Yes, it's time for me to
> renew the maintenance contract...)

First a caveat:
I work for GSS (Graphic Software Systems) and we have a B8 on depot
exchange and a VAX 11/750 on a full maintenance contract. Does this
show where our concerns are?
I worked for Sequent for over two years. I can tell you about the
dedication to quality in both the software and hardware groups. I don't
remember a time where either group denied responsibility for a problem. It
usually ended up with both hardware and software engineers fixing the
problem.

    The problem is that in most cases hardware is a known commodity. If I
want to perform a certain function with hardware, I find a vendor who can
provide me with the product and then I test it until it meets my
satisfaction. If it doesn't satisfy me, I try to find another source. I now
have all of these parts built together as a machine. If I find problems
that weren't tested for I have three alternatives, get a new part, redesign
around the problem or have the software work around the problem. This is a
simplistic view, but think about getting the same software to work
on two different platforms of CPU. Think about the problems encountered
moving from 8088 -> 80386, let alone 32032 -> 80386.
    Of course I would love to call Sequent with my software problems,
except GSS doesn't have software service. And it doesn't sound as if you
are that unhappy with Sequent software if you can:

> take programs off of the latest distribution tapes and
> compile them for the next distribution.  I KNOW thats all it takes,
> since virtually all of the programs I use on a regular basis, I TOOK
> OFF THOSE TAPES. I've replaced all of the communications/networking
> programs. Thats why the system I have is usable. (If you're a Sequent
> user, get the berkeley networking tape. So far, all the programs
> I have tried compile and run with no problems.)

Opinion follows:
Sequent is a company made up of a collective of employees with the same
goal, to make a quality product and to stay in business.
Sequent is not a company run by two or three people, if it was, all you
would have to do is find the right person to talk to. (-8

What this means to me is that you have to make the most number of Sequent
people aware of your problem(s). I am sure with your posting that more than
25 people have read it. Please keep the net informed if there is any
action taken from your posting.

> The truly maddening part of all this is I bet I've talked to 25
> different Sequent people in detail (including the president of the
> company, who I had dinner with at the last Sequent Users group
> meeting).  Every one of them seemed very interested and concerned and
> wanted to help. But, if I were grading them it would have to be A for
> effort and C+ for product.
>
> ---rick
>
> P.S. Overall, I don't think Sequent is really much better or worse than
> most other computer companies (Although, it's software is clearly behind).
> I don't want anyone to mistakenly believe that Sequent is the
> fantasy vendor that some people have been portraying.

Not true, Sequent tries harder than most companies. This means that
they will never be average, they'll either be a lot better or a lot worse.
The level of satisfaction changes the minute you talk to a top
executive of a company. You expect a higher level of involvement.

> The truly maddening part of all this is I bet I've talked to 25
> different Sequent people in detail (including the president of the
> company, who I had dinner with at the last Sequent Users group

It's nice to hear that other people have problems, - I have this
sendmail program...

tektronix!sequent!gssc!jimd

And now my Andy Rooney impression:
Gee, don't you just hate those B8 key locks?
Even the AT...
--
				"When in doubt, logout"

and now a fortune: