[comp.sys.sequent] Systech MTI-1600 tty problems.

jand@htsa.uucp (Jan Derriks) (04/11/89)

Who can help me with the following problem:

Sometimes, when a terminal is switched off and on ca. 25
times (in 2 weeks or so) the /dev/ttyxx line 'hangs'.
Nothing else but a reboot of the system helps.
An echo >/dev/ttyxx appears on the screen, but I cannot
read /dev/ttyxx at all.
Fortunately not all tty lines have this problem.

In the release notes Sequent mentions a hardware bug in the
Systech MTI terminal multiplexor board but has no intention
to fix it.

Big question is: how can I 'reset' the /dev/tty line like a
system reboot does, without actually having to do a complete reboot ?
Anybody knows this problem and has an answer: post it or please
send to (uucp)..hp4nl!htsa!jand.  Thanks.

Jan Derriks                   |  AHA-TMF (H.T.S. 'Amsterdam')
email: hp4nl!htsa!jand        |  Europaboulevard 23
phone: +31 20423827           |  1079 PC Amsterdam,  The Netherlands

jimd@gssc.UUCP (James DePorter) (04/14/89)

In article <834@htsa.uucp> jand@htsa.uucp (Jan Derriks) writes:
>Who can help me with the following problem:
>
>Sometimes, when a terminal is switched off and on ca. 25
>times (in 2 weeks or so) the /dev/ttyxx line 'hangs'.
>Nothing else but a reboot of the system helps.
>An echo >/dev/ttyxx appears on the screen, but I cannot
>read /dev/ttyxx at all.
>Fortunately not all tty lines have this problem.

I have had the same problem, I have f100's hooked to our B8. Two things
I noticed is that it happened more with newer users and most of the emacs
users. I found that when the emacs users rsh to our vax some of the
control codes change for them i.e. ^s would hang them (of course)
and they wouldn't be paying attention to the flow control and try to
kill everything they were doing to get back working on that port.
I have found if you can send the ^q before all of the processes are
killed you have better than 90% chance of recovering. The reason I
bring up f100's is that they sometimes put garbage onto the line and
can hang the terminal. Switching terms off and on can leave the port
in the wrong flow control state also. The worst problem is not being
able to kill csh as root when someone has flow control stopped.

>Big question is: how can I 'reset' the /dev/tty line like a
>system reboot does, without actually having to do a complete reboot ?
>Anybody knows this problem and has an answer: post it or please
>send to (uucp)..hp4nl!htsa!jand.  Thanks.

I haven't found a way once the port is gone. Usually I find an unused
port until I can reboot at night (less impact on the local community
(-8  ).

>Jan Derriks                   |  AHA-TMF (H.T.S. 'Amsterdam')
>email: hp4nl!htsa!jand        |  Europaboulevard 23
>phone: +31 20423827           |  1079 PC Amsterdam,  The Netherlands

jimd
tektronix!sequent!gssc!jimd

Not a spokesperson for Sequent, just a satisfied user.
Now where is that check for the Symmetry upgrade? I had it here somewhere....

--
				"When in doubt, logout"

and now a fortune:

pwolfe@kailand.KAI.COM (04/22/89)

>/* Written  7:26 am  Apr 20, 1989 by jand@htsa.uucp in kailand:comp.sys.sequent */
>What are annex's and cisco's and what exactly is the price ?

The Annex is an ethernet terminal server, sold by Encore Computer Corp.  I
read somewhere that Encore sold the whole annex works to Systech, but Encore
can still sell the Annex.  There are two flavors, Annex I and Annex II.  We
have four Annex I's, which come with 16 serial ports (db9p connectors), one
centronics parallel printer port, one ethernet port in (for connecting to
your network), and one ethernet port out (for cascading Annexes).

When we bought ours (around Dec 1987), they were list priced at $6,000 each
(compare that to $4,800 for the 16 port System MTI-1650 from Sequent.  The
Annex II has 16 or 32 ports (upgradable), but I don't know what they cost.
You might check with Systech to see what they are charging.

We got ethernet terminal servers because we wanted to place our terminals
further from the computers than the direct rs232 ports support, and because
they let us login to any host on the network without a/b switches and patch
cord changes.  When we get a new computer, or one goes down, people no longer
scramble for the patch panel to get connected.  We have dialin modems
connected to one, so we aren't dependant on any host being up for people to
dialin.

They can be configured to allow multiple logins from a single terminal (you
use the break key and "fg" commands to switch from one active session to
another).  They support rlogin and telnet commands for remote logins.

You can have the annex setup to require that user's supply a loginid and
password before being given access to the annex command line, or not (we do
for dialups, but not for terminals in house).

I would recommend Annexes to anyone, but not having much experience with
other brands, I can't honestly compare their features.  I asked quite a few
people, and read some discussions in various netnews groups and at the time,
Bridge, Cisco and Encore were all out there, and the Annex was the one there
were fewest complaints about.

The only problems I've run into is getting any parallel printers to work on the
parallel port, getting an Apple Laserwriter to work on any serial port (the
LaserWriter talks back, and there's no way I know to get something to read
that), and the annex cannot be made a "trusted" host, since Encore made some
silly mistakes in their rlogin protocol (when a user types "rlogin host -l
otheruser", the annex sends "otheruser" as both the local and remote usernames,
no matter when they originally logged on with).  Also, it's possible, but
really painful to get someone else's UUCP to dialup through an annex.  I gave
up, as it was much easier to just leave one modem directly connected to a
host, and only tell people we uucp with what that phone number is.

Patrick Wolfe	(pat@kai.com, {uunet,uiucuxc,sequent}!kailand!pat)
System Manager, Kuck and Associates, Inc.

loverso@Xylogics.COM (John Robert LoVerso) (04/26/89)

In article <2400042@kailand> pwolfe@kailand.KAI.COM writes:
> The Annex is an ethernet terminal server, sold by Encore Computer Corp.  I
> read somewhere that Encore sold the whole annex works to Systech

The product line was sold to and is now being developed and manufactured
by Xylogics, Inc.

As for some problems he reports:

> The only problems I've run into is getting any parallel printers to work on
> the parallel port

This is something new.  The Annex printer port supports a standard centronics
interface and shouldn't have problems with parallel printers.  I've played
with such things as Printronix P600s to HP Laserjets on Annexes with no
problems.  In additional to the physical interface, the Annex receives
printjobs from a host via a BSD-lpd-like spooling protocol.  The Annex
host tools include two ways of getting BSD-lpd print jobs to an Annex:
either through a simple change the lpd sources or by an auxillary print
program, which can be used as part of an output filter for a printer.

> getting an Apple Laserwriter to work on any serial port
> (the LaserWriter talks back, and there's no way I know to get something to
> read that)

This is true for any Postscript printer, which generally requires a
bi-directional interface to pass back status messages.  The way to use
such a printer is via a reverse-telnet program.  This is a daemon that
runs on a host, and uses a "pty" to fool the Adobe postscript driver
into thinking its got a tty.  Such a program ("rtelnet") is provided
on with the Annex host tools.  A similar program ("annexf") was written
by John Sloan of Wright State Univ <jsloan@wright.edu>, for use just
as a printer filter.  "rtelnet" lets you do other things (like use
an Annex port for things like a host "getty", etc).

> and the annex cannot be made a "trusted" host, since Encore made
> some silly mistakes in their rlogin protocol (when a user types "rlogin host
> -l otheruser", the annex sends "otheruser" as both the local and remote
> usernames, no matter when they originally logged on with).

This is probably true of most terminal servers that implemented "rlogin".
Don't, repeat DON'T, put them in your hosts.equiv files unless you're sure
about them!  Even worse, don't EVER put "+" in a hosts.equiv file (assuming
YP support).

This particular slipup on the Annex is fixed in Annex R4.1.  The Annex will
assure the validity of the rlogin protocol messages.  Even better, if
you use Annex security to authorize users, the Annex *will* fill in the
rlogin protocol message correctly, meaning that you won't be "needlessly"
prompted for a host password if that host has you in its hosts.equiv file.

> Also, it's
> possible, but really painful to get someone else's UUCP to dialup through an
> annex.  I gave up, as it was much easier to just leave one modem directly
> connected to a host, and only tell people we uucp with what that phone
> number is.

This is something that can be gotten around in a few ways, such as using
rtelnet, or "dedicated ports".  A "modern" UUCP also makes such chat
scripts easy.

--
John Robert LoVerso			Xylogics, Inc.  617/272-8140
loverso@Xylogics.COM			Annex Terminal Server Development Group