[comp.sys.sequent] note on top for Sequent

nagel@beaver.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (05/05/89)

It was pointed out to me that there is an error in top.local.h for the
sequent -- VMUNIX should be defined as /dynix not /vmunix.  Make sure
you make that modification when you are customizing top.local.h for
your own site.  It isn't that way in the one I ade available on
ics.uci.edu simply because our systems have a symlink from /vmunix to
/dynix and I never noticed it.  But it will cause some trouble if you
are not aware of it.

Mark Nagel @ UC Irvine, Department of Information and Computer Science
ARPA: nagel@ics.uci.edu     | radiation: smog with an attitude       |
UUCP: ucbvax!ucivax!nagel   |                                        |

jef@ace.ee.lbl.gov (Jef Poskanzer) (05/05/89)

In the referenced message, nagel@beaver.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) wrote:
}It was pointed out to me that there is an error in top.local.h for the
}sequent -- VMUNIX should be defined as /dynix not /vmunix.

No, not really.  What was actually pointed out to you is that the
version of top on ics.uci.edu has absolutely no thing to do with
Sequents.  However, getting it to work on Sequents is fairly easy.  The
change you mention is necessary, but not sufficient.  If you had ever
actually compiled the version you pointed to on a Sequent, you would
know what the other necessary change is.
---
Jef

            Jef Poskanzer   jef@helios.ee.lbl.gov   ...well!pokey
                        "I can smell the chemicals..."

nagel@beaver.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) (05/06/89)

In article <2543@helios.ee.lbl.gov>, jef@ace (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
|In the referenced message, nagel@beaver.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) wrote:
|}It was pointed out to me that there is an error in top.local.h for the
|}sequent -- VMUNIX should be defined as /dynix not /vmunix.
|
|No, not really.  What was actually pointed out to you is that the
|version of top on ics.uci.edu has absolutely no thing to do with
|Sequents.  However, getting it to work on Sequents is fairly easy.  The
|change you mention is necessary, but not sufficient.  If you had ever
|actually compiled the version you pointed to on a Sequent, you would
|know what the other necessary change is.

I'm not quite sure what your problem is, Jef.  All those #ifdef
sequent's in there are delimiting code I added or modified.  It
certainly does have quite a lot to do with Sequents.

If you are refering to the Makefile changes, I assume that anyone who
has ever compiled anything will look at the Makefile and see that some
things need to be changed, commented or uncommented.  This version was
pulled from the sources area RCS directory on our systems.  This
version is not *only* for the Sequent -- it just has modifications to
allow it to function on a Sequent.  Otherwise, it is identical to the
version on Rice.edu.  The Makefile must be modified to get it to
compile on the Sequent rather than on some other system.

If you are talking about something else, please let me know what it is
instead of simply stating that some mysterious change is necessary.  I
*have* compiled this version on both of our Sequents.  It tends to
work just fine.

pwolfe@kailand.KAI.COM (05/07/89)

> /* Written 12:06 pm  May  5, 1989 by nagel@beaver.ics.uci.edu */
> I *have* compiled this version on both of our Sequents.  It tends to
> work just fine.

So have I, except that top's "SIZE" field does not match the "SZ" field of "ps
auxw" on Balance nor Symmetry, and top's "RES" field does not come near ps's
"RSS" field on the Balance.  This has not worked since Top version 1.  I tend
to believe the "ps" command.  Top would be more useful if it worked correctly
on the Sequent.  Sure it displays the top cpu users, but so does:

	ps auxw | sort -n -r +2 -3 | head -10

Patrick Wolfe	(pat@kai.com, {uunet,uiucuxc,sequent}!kailand!pat)
System Manager, Kuck and Associates, Inc.

rich@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill) (05/10/89)

In article <13274@paris.ics.uci.edu> nagel@beaver.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) writes:

   It was pointed out to me that there is an error in top.local.h for the
   sequent -- VMUNIX should be defined as /dynix not /vmunix.

Many makefiles use the heuristic that the presence of /vmunix means
a berkeley machine.  So many, in fact, that long ago I did a "ln -s
/dynix /vmunix".  Solved a number of headaches.
--
rich.

eckert@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Toerless Eckert) (05/11/89)

From article <RICH.89May9184106@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us>, by rich@sendai.sendai.ann-arbor.mi.us (K. Richard Magill):
> In article <13274@paris.ics.uci.edu> nagel@beaver.ics.uci.edu (Mark Nagel) writes:
>
>    It was pointed out to me that there is an error in top.local.h for the
>    sequent -- VMUNIX should be defined as /dynix not /vmunix.
>
> Many makefiles use the heuristic that the presence of /vmunix means
> a berkeley machine.  So many, in fact, that long ago I did a "ln -s
> /dynix /vmunix".  Solved a number of headaches.

I have tried to compile top2.5 on a Sequent Symmetry S81, but it fails:

- cc -c -O   -DTable_size=449 -DDefault_TOPN=-1 -DDefault_DELAY=1 top.c
- cc -O     -c display.c
- cc -O     -c kernel.c
- "kernel.c", line 114: p_addr undefined
- "kernel.c", line 114: member of structure or union required
- "display.c", line 266: CPUSTATES undefined
- "display.c", line 288: CPUSTATES undefined
- "display.c", line 304: CPUSTATES undefined
- "display.c", line 542: p_tsize undefined
- "display.c", line 542: member of structure or union required
- "top.c", line 1180: p_tsize undefined
- "top.c", line 1180: member of structure or union required
- "top.c", line 1181: member of structure or union required

Can someone please tell me what i am doing wrong ? - It seems that
everone else has succeeded in compiling top on a sequent, or is there
only a better version of top than 2.5 ??

				Toerless Eckert
				(eckert@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de)