[comp.sys.sequent] Sequent Technical info?

Well, I called up the local Sequent office and received a folder of pretty
sales glossies.  Now, is there something specific I can ask for in the way
of a "Technical Manual" that would give some useful information?

When I asked about 4.3 BSD compatibility, the salesperson engaged in some
handwaving and talked about a new operating system available RSN that
would provide "POSIX compatibility", while Dynix would remain "supported".

Does anybody know precisely what this "new" software is consitituted of?
As an Ultrix victim (mix of 4.2 and 4.3 with System V compatibility) I
might be able to tolerate another BSD based system with System V extensions,
but I don't need any other "great leap backwards".

I didn't help when I tried to expore the issue with the salesman and he
mentioned there was "another Berkeley bigot" at a nearby site I could
use as a reference.  If I can state precisely what my requirements are, I
don't see why a sales person can't at least explain the company rationale
for going with System V or whatever it is that they are doing...

I guess maybe I'll have to investigate pricing on used 8600's if I want
to upgrade this tired old 785.  Whatever market Sequent is aiming for,
it doesn't seem to have much to do with replacing installed DEC/BSD unix
systems.

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (06/03/89)

In article <6996@cbmvax.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>Well, I called up the local Sequent office...
>When I asked about 4.3 BSD compatibility, the salesperson...
>...talked about a new operating system available [called] RSN that
>would provide "POSIX compatibility"...
>
>Does anybody know precisely what this "new" software is consitituted of?

I think the new OS is to be called PSN.  It will be AT&T Sys5.3
based and is not supposed to be a dual universe system.  I
believe it will support most Berkeley extensions.

--
Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp@PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp
180 New Montgomery St. rm 602,  San Francisco, CA  94105  |*| 1(415) 545-0233