[comp.sys.sequent] How to fork and bind on sequent ?

ananth@pyr.gatech.EDU (Anantha Narayanan) (07/24/89)

	I am trying to program a parallel application on Sequent Symmetry
running DYNIX.  The application needs to associate particular processes to
predefined processors.  The intention to achieve something similar to fork-and-
bind call of BBN Butterfly running Mach 1000.  Is there a way to do this on
sequent ?

	Any solution or a pointer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

ananth.
--
Anantha Narayanan
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!ananth

pwolfe@kailand.KAI.COM (07/24/89)

>/* Written by ananth@pyr.gatech.EDU in kailand:comp.sys.sequent */

> The application needs to associate particular processes to
> predefined processors.

Check out the TMP_AFFINITY(2) system call.  You must be the superuser for this
this call to work, and it only affects the current process, but is inherited
across fork and exec calls.  I've never actually used it, but I think it
restricts your process to being scheduled on a particular processor, but
doesn't prevent that processor from running other processes.

Patrick Wolfe  (pat@kai.com,  kailand!pat)
System Manager, Kuck & Associates, Inc.

arosen@hen.ulowell.edu (MFHorn) (07/25/89)

In article <2400058@kailand> pwolfe@kailand.KAI.COM writes:
   Check out the TMP_AFFINITY(2) system call.
   I've never actually used it, but I think it
   restricts your process to being scheduled on a particular processor, but
   doesn't prevent that processor from running other processes.

It doesn't prevent the processor from running other processes, but
affinitied processes are scheduled before non-affinitied processes,
so you get an inherent priority over other processes.

It make some time for other processes to migrate off you processor,
but after that, you should have it pretty much all to yourself.
--
Andy Rosen           | arosen@swan.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I
ULowell, Box #3031   | ulowell!arosen          |  learned how to make it