[comp.sys.sequent] Re^2: How to fork and bind on sequent ?

david@torsqnt.UUCP (David Haynes) (07/26/89)

arosen@hen.ulowell.edu (MFHorn) writes:

>In article <2400058@kailand> pwolfe@kailand.KAI.COM writes:
>   Check out the TMP_AFFINITY(2) system call.
>   I've never actually used it, but I think it
>   restricts your process to being scheduled on a particular processor, but
>   doesn't prevent that processor from running other processes.

>It doesn't prevent the processor from running other processes, but
>affinitied processes are scheduled before non-affinitied processes,
>so you get an inherent priority over other processes.

>It make some time for other processes to migrate off you processor,
>but after that, you should have it pretty much all to yourself.
>--
>Andy Rosen           | arosen@swan.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I

However, if you also use the proc_ctl() system call you can keep the
processes' effective priority high and thereby effectively "glue" the
process to the assigned processor.

Check out Appendix B of the Guide to Parallel Programming (second edition)
Published by Prentis Hall.

-david-