[comp.sys.sequent] Looking for 8mm video tape information wrt sequent

sid@ewok.rtech.COM (Sid Shapiro) (08/05/89)

Hi there folks,
Any of you sequent owners out there have an 8mm video tape drive
hooked to your system?  I'm interested in hearing everything about it
if you do.  Who you got it from?  How much did it cost?  What is the
interface?  How well/poorly does it work?
Thanks for any and all information.
--
Sid Shapiro -- Relational Technology, Inc
sid@rtech.com               (415)748-3470

battan@qtc.UUCP (Jim Battan) (08/11/89)

In article <3297@rtech.rtech.com> sid@rtech.COM (Sid Shapiro) writes:
>I'm interested in hearing everything about 8mm tape drives.

We have an Exabyte hooked up to the SCSI port on a Sun 3/60, to which
our Sequent S27 does rdump's.  We can dump 100MB from three zd disks
in about 16 minutes (according to last night's level 6).  For safety's
sake, we still do level 0s onto the 1/2" drive, but we probably don't
have to (there's always the boot tapes).  We got our drive from Perfect
Byte (an excellent company to deal with, BTW) for $4,000.  Tapes are
$7 for the 2GB variety.  Exabyte now recommends a cleaning every 30GB,
so we're buying the two-cycle cleaning kit for $25.

Anyone wanna buy 80 1/2" 2400ft magtapes?  :-)
--
Jim Battan     uunet!sequent!qtc!battan    +1 503 626 3081
Quantitative Technology Corportation (QTC)

royle@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (keenan royle) (08/21/89)

>In article <3297@rtech.rtech.com> sid@rtech.COM (Sid Shapiro) writes:
>>I'm interested in hearing everything about 8mm tape drives.

at the company I worked far last we where looking at a Exabyte drive for the
the symetry we were going to by.

Anyway since the symetry does not have SCSI ports this was neither cheap or
simple.

it requires a 1/2" tape adapter and the Exabyte would have its own power
suppliy.  The cost amounted to close to $20K.

all this is from memory, so please excuse statements that don't match reality