[comp.sys.sequent] X.25 bug in Symmetry now fixed

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (08/22/89)

A couple of weeks ago I posted a slightly scathing, but good humoured,
article about the problems being caused by our buggy X.25 daemon on our
S81, which caused fairly regular unkillable zombies (they would only die
when the X.25 daemon was restarted).

Gosh! The response was most impressive.  Someone somewhere must have
kicked ass because within DAYS we had a new, bugfixed X.25 daemon, and I
am pleased to report that, so far, it is performing beautifully, with no
more zombie logins appearing.

Thank you Sequent, for getting it together. Thanks in particular to Dean
Phetteplace (hope spelling's correct) for starting the ball rolling with
the followup phone call from Portland. Oh, and thank Me for posting the
article :-)

Cheers!
--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, ENGLAND
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) (08/23/89)

In article <1263@syma.sussex.ac.uk> andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:
>Thank you Sequent, for getting it together. Thanks in particular to Dean
>Phetteplace (hope spelling's correct) for starting the ball rolling with
>the followup phone call from Portland.

In light of our experiences with UK support, perhaps comp.sys.sequent is
the forum for raising problems?

I've not had the time or the energy to do something about the situation,
but the poor responsiveness of UK support is a major irritation.

Incidentally, when will Portland get a mailer that can cope with UK
addresses? It is particularly frustrating that we've never had ANY
response to the mailbugs we've sent. I've had to phone UK support to
get the pts reference numbers. [Yes, they didn't even phone me.]

		Jim

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (08/29/89)

In article <1263@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) writes:
> A couple of weeks ago I posted a slightly scathing, but good humoured,
> article about the problems being caused by our buggy X.25 daemon on our
> S81 [...]

> [...] within DAYS we had a new, bugfixed X.25 daemon, and I
> am pleased to report that, so far, it is performing beautifully, with no
> more zombie logins appearing.

Martin Jones of Sequent Europe pointed out an inaccuracy in my posting,
and I am therefore pleased to set the record straight.  I quote from his
message (I asked his permission but haven't heard anything for a few
days, so I hope he doesn't mind being quoted):

"Thank you for posting your follow up article.  I would however like to point
out one inaccuracy.

The zombie process problem was nothing to do with the X.25 daemon.
The problem was in the X.29 handler, which is partly on the controller board,
and partly in the kernel.  The fix was a new release of Sequent's X.25 driver
and a new front-end module for the controller board.  In fact you are still
running the exact same daemon as before.

The reason I'm pointing this out is not just to be pedantic, but that
the Coloured book X.25 daemon is supported by Lancaster University, and
they were concerned that the article you posted might lead people to
think that they were slow in fixing Coloured Book bugs.  In fact quite
the opposite is true."
----

I hope this clears things up.  My apologies for any embarrassment caused
to Lancaster University.  And thanks again to all concerned for fixing
the bug.