[comp.sys.sequent] Exabyte info...

eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu (Edmund C. Lam) (09/26/89)

I am looking for information about hooking a 4$24 Exabyte 8mm drive
directly onto the Ethernet/SCSI board on a Sequent S27.
--
        -Edmund C. Lam    (University of Waterloo)
	<eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu>

arnold@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Arnold de Leon) (09/28/89)

In article <ECLAM.89Sep26093249@maytag.waterloo.edu> eclam@maytag.waterloo.edu (Edmund C. Lam) writes:
>I am looking for information about hooking a 4$24 Exabyte 8mm drive
>directly onto the Ethernet/SCSI board on a Sequent S27.

We have been looking for similar info.  So far no one has come
forward with anything substantial.

Anyway, in a quick test we decided to try connecting an Exabyte to
the SCED board.  The physical connections were easy enough.  The
cartridge tape that Sequent provides is connected by a typical
50 pin scsi ribbon connector.

The system booted fine and it even claimed that it saw the drives.
But any attempt to access the drives resulted in errors to the console
eventually leading to a system panic.

The big question for me is whether it's purely a driver problem
(fixable by us) or the it's a problem with the SCED (we need
Sequent to do something).

We haven't had much of chance to do any real methodical testing
since our symmetry is heavily used.

For now, we are resigned to dumping to the Exabytes on our
Vax 11/750 (It would have been retired except it's the only
thing we have that will handle the exabytes).

We'll post if we make any forward (or backward) progress.  We will
also happily listen to other peoples experience.

-arnold
--

Arnold de Leon                       arnold@jarthur.claremont.edu
Computer Science Dept., HMC          uunet!jarthur!arnold