[comp.sys.sequent] Sequent Machines - a summary

treval@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Trevor Luker) (10/05/89)

Hi,

A summary of responses to the question:

	Sequent Machines - what are their strengths and weaknesses ?

Some time ago I put a message in this newsgroup regarding the Sequent
Symmetry machines. Based on the responses that I received, I prepared
a summary for the company management. The relevant sections of the
report are contained below. It makes interesting reading...

[ Any mistakes or mis-quotations are my fault, please excuse me ]

Thanks for all the help,

treval

			       -- CUT HERE --

From:     Trevor Luker (ISD 2238)

Subject:  A  summary of responses about the Sequent machines received
          from USENET, with emphasis on support and growth potential.

Replies were received from (among others) :-

1)   Patrick Wolfe       System Manager, Kuck & Associates
2)   Rich Kulawiec       University of Colorado at Boulder
3)   Carl S. Gutekunst   Pyramid Corporation
4)   Jesse Furqueron     Sr. Software Engineer, VISystems
5)   Andy Behrens        Burlington Coat, Lebanon NH
6)   John OBrien         Bellcore

The  questions  and  the responses from the above people  are  listed
below:-

Q)   What are your experiences with bug-fixes and customer-support?

1.   They  are  very good.  Their machines have a mean  time  between
     failure  of  over  1-1/2 years ...  and we've  had  them  [Field
     Service]  out once in the 3-1/2 years I've been here, to replace
     a tape drive ...

2.   ...   I  can't tell you much about their field service,  because
     the only time we ever saw them in 3 1/2 years was when they came
     to install more processors ...  Sequent's response to "critical"
     bugs [In the OS] has been outstanding.

3.   The  hardware is exceptionally reliable, so you won't have  much
     use  for  hard-ware  support.  Software support is  said  to  be
     terrible;   they  won't  admit they have bugs, and  have  to  be
     publically flogged into fixing them.

4.   After almost a calender year of running [3] sequents, the number
     of times we have been down because of hardware/software failures
     you  can  count  on both hands ...  excellent support  people  -
     [minor]  bugs can take a while to get fixed (3-4 months),  major
     bugs usually within a week and most of that is in diagnosis.

5.   Customer  support  and field service are outstanding.   Software
     support  is good (they fix the bugs, but it sometimes takes them
     a while to do so).

6.   Very   responsive!   Bug  fixes   have  been  shipped  promptly.
     Customer support is great ...

Q)   Does  the  [Sequent]  architecture "scale"  correctly,  ie  does
     performance  increase  linearly  with the number  of  processors
     added?

1.   Not  linearly, but close.  The small cabinet can handle up to 10
     386's, and the large up to 30.

2.   It's about as straightline as you're likely to see.

3.   It  scales  beautifully  if  you stay CPU bound.   UUNet,  as  a
     counter  example,  is  I/O bound;  they have 10  CPUs  now,  and
     adding more would not increase system throughput at all.

4.   yes!   As far as speed goes, to give you an idea, on [a two  CPU
     machine],  we  run  30  developers ...  As  to  [a  sixteen  CPU
     machine], well we haven't been able to find its limits yet!

5.   Seems to.  Our 14-processor system regularly runs 90 users doing
     database inquiries and data entry.

6.   My tests say YES!

Q)   Given a free choice, would you buy another one...

1.   Definitely, yes.  I just wish we had the money to do so

2.   PUCC  (where I worked) ...  now has three Symmetries.  ...  They
     have  been approached by Convex, Encore, etc.;  but the Sequents
     evaluate  way  ahead every time.  They plan to buy more, and  to
     phase out DEC hardware in the process.

3.   I don't have one. ...

4.   I'd buy three of four more ...  I'm sold on sequents ...

5.   Yes, and again yes.  (We now have three of them, with 8, 14, and
     20 processors respectively).

6.   Absolutely!