[comp.sys.sequent] X11.R4 on a balance

larsen@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) (04/07/90)

Has anyone out there compiled X11.R4 (or any other version for that matter)
for a sequent balance (or even a symmetry)?  We are in the process of
doing so, and was wondering if I could get all the setup stuff from you.

-Scott Larsen
larsen@mist.cs.orst.edu
"You may find after a time that having is not nearly a fine thing as
 wanting."
		- Spock

david@torsqnt.UUCP (David Haynes) (04/08/90)

larsen@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Scott Larsen) writes:

>Has anyone out there compiled X11.R4 (or any other version for that matter)
>for a sequent balance (or even a symmetry)?  We are in the process of
>doing so, and was wondering if I could get all the setup stuff from you.

>-Scott Larsen
>larsen@mist.cs.orst.edu
>"You may find after a time that having is not nearly a fine thing as
> wanting."
>		- Spock

this will probably be a interest.

-david-

From: doleh@math-cs.kent.edu (Yaser Doleh)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sequent
Subject: Re: Installing X-windows (R4)
Date: 13 Mar 90 16:47:30 GMT
Sender: news@math-cs.kent.edu (News)

In article <535@flash.UUCP>, johnl@flash.UUCP (John R. Lee) writes:

> I am in a process of trying to install X11R4 on a Sequent Symmetry machine
> running DYNIX 3.0.12.  MIT provided manual does not mention anything about
> install on a Sequent.  I have very strong feeling that if I try to
> run 'make World' with out any modifications it may not work, and
> I am not sure what modifications to make for my environment.
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated.

This what we have done to build X11R4 on a sequent Balance running DYNIX 3.0.14

1 - Add the following lines to mit/config/Imake.tmpl

#ifdef sequent
#define MacroIncludeFile <sequent.cf>
#define MacroFile sequent.cf
#undef sequent
#define SequentArchitecture
#endif /* sequent */

2 - Created a sequent.cf file below. (It's a copy of bsd.cf with few changes)

/*
 * SET VERSION NUMBERS BEFORE MAKING MAKEFILES
 */

#define OSName            4.2bsd
#define OSMajorVersion    4
#define OSMinorVersion    2

#define HasGcc NO       /* very useful for the server */

#define HasVoidSignalReturn NO

/**/# platform:  $XConsortium: sequent.cf,v 1.8 89/12/23 14:19:17 jim Exp $
/**/# operating system:  OSName

/*****************************************************************************
 *                        Platform-specfic parameters                        *
 *****************************************************************************/

#if OSMajorVersion >= 4 && OSMinorVersion >= 3
#define SetTtyGroup YES
#endif

#define HasBsearch NO
#define BuildServer NO
/*
#define DefaultCDebugFlags      -g
#define LibraryCDebugFlags      -g
*/
------------

Everything built just fine.

----------

Yaser Doleh   <doleh@math-cs.kent.edu>
Department Of Mathematics & Computer Science
Kent State University
Kent - OH 44242

doleh@math-cs.kent.edu (Yaser Doleh) (04/10/90)

/*****************************************************************************

*****************************************************************************/

> #if OSMajorVersion >= 4 && OSMinorVersion >= 3
> #define SetTtyGroup YES
> #endif
>
> #define HasBsearch NO
> #define BuildServer NO
> /*
> #define DefaultCDebugFlags      -g
> #define LibraryCDebugFlags      -g
> */
>
> Everything built just fine.

That wasn't all. mit/lib/xinput failed to compile with the sequent compiler
We used gcc to compile it. Change the Imakefile in mit/lib/xinput.
I remember that I posted a correction to the above message before.

If you have any trouble feel free to send me email.