[comp.sys.sequent] Could we run a C++ program on several processors in parallel ?

qyl@cs.strath.ac.uk (Magnus Q. Luo) (05/02/90)

Could we write a C++ program and then run it on several processors
of Sequent in parallel ? If we could, how can we write that program ?
I tried to combine C++ with Parallel Programming Library. However,
C++ seems to have the problem to recognize the keywords such as "shared".

Welcome any suggestion and thanks a lot in advance.

Magnus Q. Luo, Department of Computer Science,      _
University of Strathclyde, Glasgow G1 1XH, UK      |   _  _  _| |      _ |
qyl@uk.ac.strath.cs  041-552 4400 Ext 2952         |_T|_||_||_| |__|_||_ |<

bakken@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Bakken) (05/03/90)

In article <3529@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk> qyl@cs.strath.ac.uk writes:

>Could we write a C++ program and then run it on several processors
>of Sequent in parallel ? If we could, how can we write that program ?
>I tried to combine C++ with Parallel Programming Library. However,
>C++ seems to have the problem to recognize the keywords such as "shared".

Check out Presto, a package by Brian Bershad at the UW.  It is a slick
package that will do what you want and then more.  It is available via
ftp from cs.washington.edu.  Caution - you will need ATT C++ 1.2.1 to
get it running on a Sequent.  Hopefully some day it will be ported to
g++.  Good luck!
--
Dave Bakken			bakken@cs.arizona.edu	uunet!arizona!bakken
U of A Computer Science		(602) 621-8372

[Ric] Anderson's law of program versions:  Never trust 0.x or x.0