[comp.sys.sequent] Oracle memory requirements

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (05/26/90)

Does anyone out there have any general pointers on tuning
an Oracle system with the overall goal of reducing its size?
We are installing Oracle release 6.0.27 on a Sequent Symmetry S81.
The machine is pretty well configured - 10 CPUs, 96 meg real memory
and about 400 meg total for swap. We currently run five release
5.1.22 instances with few problems.

Despite this configuration we are a little worried about the load
that our planned Oracle use is going to put on the machine. It
appears that each of the four Oracle "kernel" processes allocates
about 17 meg (no, I did not forget a decimal point) of virtual memory.
Thats 68 meg for a single database instance, though I'm sure a few
meg is actually shared.

Our current plans call for four instances and this causes a bit of
concern. I'm sure this would all be ok if the machine were dedicated to
Oracle, but it is not - it doubles as a time sharing system serving about
100 concurrent users. If there is any good way to reduce the size of the
Oracle kernel, I would appreciate hearing about it.

- Scott

kellyh@sequent.UUCP (Kelly Hogan) (06/02/90)

In article <9799@hydra.gatech.EDU>, scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) writes:
> Despite this configuration we are a little worried about the load
> that our planned Oracle use is going to put on the machine. It
> appears that each of the four Oracle "kernel" processes allocates
> about 17 meg (no, I did not forget a decimal point) of virtual memory.
> Thats 68 meg for a single database instance, though I'm sure a few
> meg is actually shared.

Give your local Sequent SA a call and ask for the tech tip regarding
the optimizing of the resident set size.  This helps substantially.
--
Kelly S. Hogan 					  ..!uunet!sequent!kellyh
Sequent Computer Systems, Inc.          "Once is Never Enough, Recycle It"