[comp.sys.sequent] Timing parallel programs on Balance

job00542@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/27/90)

I am working on a parallel Fortran program for the Sequent Balance and am
having difficulties getting accurate timings because the results vary with the
system load, even though I'm measuring CPU time.  I've heard that gang
scheduling of processes will help-- does anyone know how to do this?  Thanks in advance...

James Bordner

hafner@ordin.cs.wisc.edu (Brian J. Hafner) (06/28/90)

In article <63900005@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> job00542@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I am working on a parallel Fortran program for the Sequent Balance and am
>having difficulties getting accurate timings because the results vary with the
>system load, even though I'm measuring CPU time.  I've heard that gang
>scheduling of processes will help-- does anyone know how to do this?  Thanks in advance...
>
>James Bordner

Gang scheduling is a way to utilize a group of processors without
any interference from the OS.  Essentially, the processors are removed
from the "pool" of free processors and completely assigned to the
user.

I knew that the Encore Multimax could do this, but wasn't aware that
the Sequent [Balance | Symmetry] could.

Sequent offers two privledged system calls:

	proc_ctl() which allows a
	user to fix the priority of a process and prevent aging.

	tmp_affinity() which glues a process to a particular processor.

Although the OS still is charge of all the processors, these calls
can be used to fake gang scheduling.

Brian J. Hafner
Computer Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin - Madison
hafner@cs.wisc.edu

job00542@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (06/28/90)

/* Written 10:21 pm  Jun 27, 1990 by hafner@ordin.cs.wisc.edu in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.sequent */

> Gang scheduling is a way to utilize a group of processors without
> any interference from the OS.  Essentially, the processors are removed
> from the "pool" of free processors and completely assigned to the
> user.

Thanks!  Luckily, I found a gang scheduler for the Balance-- written by Dr.
Eugene Brooks and available via anonymous ftp to maddog.llnl.gov.  I haven't
tried it yet, but it looks promising.

James Bordner