[comp.sys.sequent] Dynix/Ptx - Upgrade worthwhile?

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (06/27/90)

Well, first off, find out from Oracle when they plan to support
PTX as a platform. My understanding is that PTX and Dynix are not
compatible. The current version of Oracle (6.0.30) runs under Dynix,
though I am not sure if they "certify" it under 3.0.17. I don't
know much about Ingress, but I am sure the same applies.  This really
applies to any piece of software you view as being important.

PTX is VERY new and many vendors may not yet be supporting their
software on it. Given the close relationship between Sequent and
Oracle, however, I would hope that PTX support would at least be on the
horizon.

If you do need to be running Oracle under Dynix, then you must
at least install the System V support...it is required by Oracle.
I am not sure about Ingress.

- Scott

disclaimer: I speak only for myself.
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt, Systems Analyst		Internet: scott@prism.gatech.edu

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (06/27/90)

From article <2968@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, by stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen Carter):
> As things stand at present we are finding it a bit hard going  - some
> commands not working too well, other aspects being poor.

As I understand it, the SYS VR2 on sequents is implemented on top of an
early BSD 4.2 kernel.  This means that some things which work fine
in SYS V don't work on sequents 'cos the BSD kernel can't do it.
Mandatory file locking is one example that comes to mind, also terminal
drivers and the file system.

Basically using SYS V on a sequent is fraught with danger, and the BSD
is so old that you need to be careful when compiling software.

If you've been reading this group you may have noticed many people
complaining about the state of the software on sequents, well now
you know why.
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

keith@sequoia.execu.com (Keith Pyle) (06/28/90)

In article <2968@syma.sussex.ac.uk> stevedc@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Stephen Carter) writes:

>We have recently got a Sequent S27 which we are getting up and installed
>
>The version of Dynix that has been delivered was 3.0.17.  We have been
>*strongly* advised to go att and ksh throughout because that is more
>System V compatible, and less work would have to be done when we go up
>to the next release of Dynix.

>I have had some encouragement, from locals and from Sequent, to take an
>early version of Dynix/ptx and implement it before our users go live because :
>
>	1  It will solve some of the current problems of strange
>	   commands
>
>	2  It's nearly here anyway, so if we *start* with ptx on day one
>	   as seen by our users, we'll not have to go through an upgrade
>	   in not too many months time

As someone else has already addressed the issue of using the att
universe, I'll limit my comments to the ptx ones.  First, we have been
repeatedly told that Sequent has no plans to discontinue support for
Dynix (they better not, if ptx is the alternative!).  Indeed, a new
release of Dynix is said to be in the works.

I actually got to play with ptx at one point.  It is billed as a POSIX
compliant System V based OS.  That's fine as far as it goes, which
isn't far enough the last I knew.  My major issue was that we were told
by several different Sequent folks that NIS (nee Yellow Pages) would
not be a part of ptx.  If you've got a single system, so what?  Here,
we've got an S81, a Sun 3/180, an HP 9000/825, two DEC 3602's, and a
Unisys U6000 plus about four dozen work stations, all of which run
their respective flavors of Unix and communicate via TCP/IP *with* NIS
on every one of them.  I don't have the staff to administer these
machines without something that provides the functionality of NIS and
runs on each of these OS's.  (If you want to tell me about the problems
and faults of NIS, fine;  please redirect your message to /dev/null and
go work on something that will do at least everything NIS does *and*
port it to these machines.  I'll happily take a better solution.)

Therefore, I will restate what I've told Sequent:  I will not switch to
ptx nor will I recommend that anyone who has a network environment do
so.  If they choose not to provide the support that is needed in
today's environment (by discontinuing support for Dynix or by freezing
it without providing an adequate ptx), then the next upgrade time will
become an examination of other vendors.  If Sequent has changed its
plans and now intends NIS support in ptx, I would be interested to hear
it (and a bit amused since the subject came up again in discussions
with Sequent folks at USENIX week before last).

Keith Pyle                                UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!execu!keith
Manager, Data Processing Services Dept.   Internet: keith@execu.com
Execucom Systems Corp.                              execu!keith@cs.utexas.edu
108 Wild Basin Road                            keith%execu.uucp@cs.utexas.edu
Austin, Texas 78746                       Ma Bell: 512-327-7070

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are my own, keep your hands off!

kinch@ria.ccs.uwo.ca (Dave Kinchlea) (06/29/90)

I can see how not having NIS could be a problem and I do not intend to
question that but I would like to comment on ptx in general. I was
(am) part of a team at the Computer Science department here at Western
who have been Beta testing ptx. We also have a Sequent running Dynix
so I do have something to compare ptx with.

In my opinion, ptx is a vast improvement over Dynix. As a user and a C
programmer I find ptx a very nice platform, indeed I do most of my
work on that machine, but when I try to port a program to Dynix I
invariably had to make many changes and in some cases just give up.
Ports from ptx to Sun 4.0x seem to go fairly easily, usually just
different include files.

There is certainly still some problems with ptx, it is afterall still
a new product, but I feel sure that ptx will prove to be a very solid OS.

cheers kinch

Just for the record, I do not now, nor have I ever worked for Sequent,
so I do not speak for them. Nor do I speak for the Computer Science
department here or anywhere else for that matter. I just happen to
like ptx (least ways I sure have liked playing with it for the last year!)