[comp.sys.sequent] Swapping on non-b partitions

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (09/29/90)

We have a need to add some swap space to our Symmetry system running
Dynix 3.0.12.  We currently have an unused h partition on one of the
disks that could be used for swap space, but I'm not sure if Dynix can
use that partition for swap space.  I've looked thru the manuals and
can't find any mention of it.  Does anyone know if Dynix can swap
on a non-b partition?

Thanks,

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

brsmith@cs.umn.edu (Brian R. Smith) (09/29/90)

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:

>We have a need to add some swap space to our Symmetry system running
>Dynix 3.0.12.  We currently have an unused h partition on one of the
>disks that could be used for swap space, but I'm not sure if Dynix can
>use that partition for swap space.  I've looked thru the manuals and
>can't find any mention of it.  Does anyone know if Dynix can swap
>on a non-b partition?

Sure.  We desperately needed more swap space, so we turned the c
partition (all) of a SCSI drive (yea, SLOW) into swap space.

When you specify swap paritions in the config file for your kernel
(/usr/sys/conf/<whatever>), if you say just "zd0" or "sd1", config
assumes the b partition.  Just specify the parition you want to swap
on, and it should work.  I.E., we have:

## kernels to configure ##
config dynix_zd root on zd0a swap on zd0 and zd1 and zd2 and sd1c

Feel free to ask me if you have any problems.  (I'm not saying I can
fix them... :-)

Brian
brsmith@cs.umn.edu

neal@sequent.UUCP (Neal Wyse) (09/30/90)

As some else mentioned, no problem swapping on partitions other than
the b partition.  On a drive that you boot from (typically drive 0),
don't use the h partition (or any partition that starts at the
beginning of the disk) as a swap or raw partition as this will
clobber the boot block at some point.  On drives that you don't boot
from, the h partition is fair game.

Neal Wyse
... uunet!sequent!neal

pmabon@oracle.com (Pamela Mabon) (10/03/90)

In article <2703D039.5509@orion.oac.uci.edu> iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:

>We have a need to add some swap space to our Symmetry system running
>Dynix 3.0.12.  We currently have an unused h partition on one of the
>disks that could be used for swap space, but I'm not sure if Dynix can
>use that partition for swap space.  I've looked thru the manuals and
>can't find any mention of it.  Does anyone know if Dynix can swap
>on a non-b partition?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Mike Iglesias
>University of California, Irvine
>Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
>BITNET:      iglesias@uci
>uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

I'm a little behind in this newsgroup so if this has been answered forgive
the redundancy.

While the b partitions are the most optimal for swapping because of their
location you can use any partiton you want including c's.  If you were to
list all the partitions I use for swap on all my systems you'd see that at
least one of each was in use, except the a's.

There are some things to remember:
	channel/disk saturation.  Run vmstat with a short interval like 1 sec
	to see what kind of activity is already going on on the disk in question.

	NEVER make 0h a raw partition of any kind as the bootstrap will
	eventually be overwritten (if you follow convention and make 0a
	your root partition that is)

	your /etc/fstab entry should look similar to:
	/dev/zd3h   swap        swap   sw              0 0

	And of course don't forget to add it to your kernel

	Good luck,

	Pam