[comp.sys.sequent] Space in root partition disappearing

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (10/03/90)

We're having a problem on our Sequent Symmetry (Dynix 3.0.12) where the
disk space in the root partition gets used up.  I have been going
crazy trying to find what's causing it.  I can't find any files
being created, none of the directories is growing in size, etc.  /tmp
is on a separate partition, so it's not that.  / is owned by root,
is only writable by root.  There are no non-standard suid root programs
running.

The disk space eventually comes back, and everything is ok.  Of course,
during the time disk space is low, someone runs passwd/chfn/chsh and
the /etc/passwd file gets truncated.  I've resorted to having cron
run a script several times a day that saves the passwd file on another
partition so I can restore it quickly (when the disk space returns!).

If anyone has any ideas on how to find what's using the disk space, I'd
appreciate hearing from you.

Mike Iglesias
University of California, Irvine
Internet:    iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu
BITNET:      iglesias@uci
uucp:        ...!ucbvax!ucivax!iglesias

dhawk@well.sf.ca.us (David Hawkins) (10/04/90)

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:

>We're having a problem on our Sequent Symmetry (Dynix 3.0.12) where the
>disk space in the root partition gets used up.  I have been going
>crazy trying to find what's causing it.  I can't find any files
>being created, none of the directories is growing in size, etc.  /tmp
>is on a separate partition, so it's not that.  / is owned by root,
>is only writable by root.  There are no non-standard suid root programs
>running.

We have the same problem with our Sequent Balance.  It's the temporary
passwd file in /etc  that doesn't get cleared after a
passwd/chfn/chsh    You can check that with   fsck -n /dev/rzd0a
(or whatever your root partition is on) and noticed the size/owner of
the unlinked file.  Unfortunately it happens on an irregular basis. We
had a big  problem with this for a long time and then it quit
happening.  Not sure why.  It could be related to the size of our
password file, which is over 330K.

later, david
--
David Hawkins  System Operator  {apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
"Don't fight forces; use them." -- R. Buckminster Fuller

iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) (10/04/90)

In article <2708C926.19205@orion.oac.uci.edu> iglesias@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
>We're having a problem on our Sequent Symmetry (Dynix 3.0.12) where the
>disk space in the root partition gets used up.  I have been going
>crazy trying to find what's causing it.  I can't find any files
>being created, none of the directories is growing in size, etc.  /tmp
>is on a separate partition, so it's not that.  / is owned by root,
>is only writable by root.  There are no non-standard suid root programs
>running.

As many people have suggested (both here and via email), we had programs
keeping /etc/passwd open.  This being the begining of the quarter, and
we encourage students to change their passwords when they first log
on, we had several copies of the passwd file floating around until
processes exited (mostly caused by a locally written math quiz system).
We've fixed the offending programs and things are much better now.

Thanks to all who took the time to respond!