[comp.sys.sequent] Has anyone got BSD 4.3 netstat

timcc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Tim Cook) (10/31/90)

Has anyone managed to port BSD 4.3 netstat (the one available on uunet) to
DYNIX?  I have successfully ported things like ftp/ftpd, telnet/telnetd and
ping, but netstat wants a few headers that are not there under DYNIX (all
of the directories /usr/include/netimp and /usr/include/netns in
particular).

For those interested, this is wanted because I am now running a nameserver
on our Sequent.  I am re-porting as many networking utilities as I can, so
that they use the new resolver routines.  I understand that this may not be
necessary for newer versions of DYNIX (we have 3.0.12), but Sigma Data
Australia haven't heard of ``the customer is always right, especially when
he has it in writing with your signature at the bottom'' when it comes to
DYNIX upgrades.

I'll probably cop heaps for saying that, but that's why I said it...
--
Tim Cook     Systems Administrator, Victoria College Computer Services

parrot - n.  An animal that has the ability to imitate man, but not the
             intelligence to refrain from doing so.

timcc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Tim Cook) (11/08/90)

In article <6460.272dd562@csv.viccol.edu.au>, I wrote:
> Has anyone managed to port BSD 4.3 netstat (the one available on uunet) to
> DYNIX?
>
> For those interested, this is wanted because I am now running a nameserver
> on our Sequent.  I am re-porting as many networking utilities as I can, so
> that they use the new resolver routines.  I understand that this may not be
> necessary for newer versions of DYNIX (we have 3.0.12), but Sigma Data
> Australia haven't heard of ``the customer is always right, especially when
> he has it in writing with your signature at the bottom'' when it comes to
> DYNIX upgrades.

First of all, the above posting was not the opinion of my employer,
Victoria College.  It was mine.  I might just explain it a little more:

Victoria College and Sigma Data had a Site Review meeting on the 11th of
October, at which the matter of a DYNIX upgrade for Victoria College was
raised.  I was not present at this meeting, but was made aware of what
was discussed.  Sigma Data agreed to pursue our desire for a DYNIX
upgrade, and since the meeting (but after my above posting), I have been
informed that we will be getting such an upgrade, as per our original
agreement with Sigma Data.

I am pleased at this outcome, and given our past relationship with Sigma
Data, which was more than satisfactory, have had my faith restored in Sigma
Data and Sequent.

By the way, I haven't found a version of netstat(1) that I can get going
yet (but I don't think I'll need it now).
--
Tim Cook     Systems Administrator, Victoria College Computer Services

SIDCC@csv.viccol.edu.au (Sid Stevens) (11/08/90)

The comments made in the article <6460.272dd562@csv.viccol.edu.au>, by Tim
Cook dated 31 October 1990 regarding the provision of DYNIX upgrades for
Victoria College, do not  reflect the official position of Victoria College
or the relationship with Sigma Data (Sequent) The facts are:

1.	As planned with Sigma Data, DYNIX version 3.0.17 was ordered prior to
   31 October 1990 and will be installed in the first quarter 1991,
   along with a significant ORACLE revision.

2.	There is a good working relationship between Victoria College and
   Sigma Data and the College repudiates any comments or inferences	to
   the contrary made by Tim Cook.

S. Stevens
Manager, Computer Services
Victoria College