[comp.sys.sequent] Request: SLIP on a Sequent S27

sam@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (B. Sam Blanchard) (11/19/90)

I would like to implement SLIP on a Sequent S27 running Dynix.
Dynix is 4.2bsd with many 4.3bsd enhancements. (yes, Dynix is much more)

Sequent Support told me that kernel support was required and Sequent did not
support SLIP.  I do not have source.

I was told that adding 'options SLIP' might work.  There appears to be an
unsupported SLIP in Sequent's Dynix.  Can anyone refer me to documentation
on SLIP that would assist in using SLIP.  I have "no idea" how to try SLIP out
to see if anything works.
--
B. Sam Blanchard	UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!sam
                    	ARPA:  sam@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (11/19/90)

In article <12073@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> sam@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (B. Sam Blanchard) writes:

> I would like to implement SLIP on a Sequent S27 running Dynix.

> Sequent Support told me that kernel support was required and Sequent did not
> support SLIP.  I do not have source.

If you have a spare dusty PC XT or so and can fork out the $$ for a Western
Digital  ethernet card (or have a PC ethernet card supported by a packet
driver -- there are lots, but native support for the WD card will give you
better performance) you can do this with the aid of PC route 2.1
or any other router that supports SLIP:

	+-------------+  ethernet  +---------+  RS-232
	| sequent     +------------+ router  +----------> SLIP!
	+-------------+		   +---------+

The PC software is FREE by FTP from accuvax.nwu.edu under pub/pcroute.

This way, you will save your sequent from being hammered by the SLIP link
too.
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

timcc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Tim Cook) (11/22/90)

writes:
> I would like to implement SLIP on a Sequent S27 running Dynix.
> Dynix is 4.2bsd with many 4.3bsd enhancements. (yes, Dynix is much more)

There is a freely available implementation of SLIP available for DYNIX.  It
does need to be built into the kernel, but instructions are supplied on how
to do this, and you don't need DYNIX source code.  We have been using it
here for about 6 months, and it works fine, except it has crashed IP about
a dozen times, which I think is another symptom of the poor terminal
multiplexor drivers that are found on Sequents.  You may have better luck
than us, but we are going to start using a PC running PCroute soon.

You can find the source to this in networking/Dynix.sl.tar.Z in uunet's
anonymous FTP area, or send a message to info-sslip@riacs.edu for more
information.
--
The above message in no way represents the official opinion, policy or
standing of Victoria College, or the Computer Services department of