[comp.sys.sequent] naive question about tty ports

julia@mcglin.wpg.com (Julia Crawley) (01/16/91)

In the next few weeks, my organization will be getting a Basic 4
GPX 6270 (i.e., a Sequent).  Our vendor is telling us that proper
cabling of our in-house terminals will require four pairs?  Is this
true?  Or, will three wires for 2,3,&7 be sufficient?

--
Julia Crawley -- (504) 586-1200
julia@mcglin.wpg.com

lwj@cs.kun.nl (Luc Rooijakkers) (01/16/91)

In <14@mcglin.wpg.com> julia@mcglin.wpg.com (Julia Crawley) writes:

>In the next few weeks, my organization will be getting a Basic 4
>GPX 6270 (i.e., a Sequent).  Our vendor is telling us that proper
>cabling of our in-house terminals will require four pairs?  Is this
>true?  Or, will three wires for 2,3,&7 be sufficient?

It probably depends on your version of Dynix. When I recently installed
a Sequent Symmetry with Dynix 3.0, we indeed needed four wires, since I
could not find any way to turn of the carrier detect. If you get
Sequent's System V port (Dynix/pts I believe), you might be able to turn
it off. Of course, you can also fake it in the connector by connecting
the DTR output to the DCD input.

By the way, you may actually *want* four wires. It has the very attractive
feature of automatically logging you out if you turn off your terminal,
which is good for your security. Besides, it usually saves processes.

Hope this helps

--
Luc Rooijakkers                                 Internet: lwj@cs.kun.nl
Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science     UUCP: uunet!cs.kun.nl!lwj

scottie@sequent.UUCP (Scott Thurston) (01/17/91)

In article <14@mcglin.wpg.com> julia@mcglin.wpg.com (Julia Crawley) writes:
%In the next few weeks, my organization will be getting a Basic 4
%GPX 6270 (i.e., a Sequent).  Our vendor is telling us that proper
%cabling of our in-house terminals will require four pairs?  Is this
%true?  Or, will three wires for 2,3,&7 be sufficient?
%
%--
%Julia Crawley -- (504) 586-1200
%julia@mcglin.wpg.com
%uunet!wpg!mcglin!julia

You will need a signal driving DCD (pin 8) on the Sequent side of the
connection.  If DCD is not high when an open is attempted on the port, the
open will not complete.  Commonly, DTR (pin 20) on the terminal is used to
drive DCD on the Sequent.  Then, when the terminal is shut off, DCD is
dropped and the port is closed and a HANGUP sent to processes associated
with the port.

-- Scott Thurston			UUCP: ...!uunet!sequent!scottie
   Technical Support Engineer           Internet: scottie@sequent.com
   Sequent Computer Systems, Inc	(503) 578-3878
   15450 SW Koll Parkway
   Beaverton, OR  97006

daveman@laxsqnt.UUCP (David Mansfield) (01/17/91)

wqb@ufycorp.Unify.Com (Bill Bonney) writes:

>In article <14@mcglin.wpg.com> julia@mcglin.wpg.com (Julia Crawley) writes:
>>In the next few weeks, my organization will be getting a Basic 4
>>GPX 6270 (i.e., a Sequent).  Our vendor is telling us that proper
>>cabling of our in-house terminals will require four pairs?  Is this
>>true?  Or, will three wires for 2,3,&7 be sufficient?
>>
>>--
>>Julia Crawley -- (504) 586-1200
>>julia@mcglin.wpg.com
>>uunet!wpg!mcglin!julia

>We have a Sequent and are using 3 pair now (I think we use 2, 3, 5, 7, 8 &
>20). We are working with a cabling vendor to reduce to 2 pair (2, 3 and
>we're working on which other 2 are necessary). We think there will be some
>printers we have (we have some old stuff still running) that will still
>require 3 pair, but have never needed 4 pair.

DCE needs 2, 3, 7, and 8.  DTE needs to run 2, 3, 7, and 20:

  DCE      DTE
   2 =====> 3
   3 =====> 2
   7 =====> 7
   8 =====> 20

The Sequent ports use pin 8 (DCD) to determine if a device is attached to the
port or not.  Since most devices hold pin 20 (DTR) high when turned on, you
need to map 20 back into 8.  Where this falls short is for devices (as Bill
mentions, some printers) using hardware handshaking:  Dropping DTR cause the
port to become "hung up" and the associated process hangs up.

There are some other options for how the port and cable can be configured
using "ttyconfig" (I'm not sure the MBF machine has this or not).

====
Dave Mansfield

..!sequent!daveman
daveman@sequent
Sequent Computer Systems, Inc.

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (01/18/91)

As you probably already guessed, the number of wires on a tty connection is a
religious issue, with some technical considerations.

To make the usual ASCII terminal work at all, you need at least 2, 3, and 7.
On most UNIX boxes, you also need to drive the incoming carrier detect signal.
Most vendors, including Sequent, wire their serial ports as a DTE, so this
means pin 8. While you can fake this out at the Sequent end, you don't want
to; the DCE sensing not only ensures that turned off terminals will be logged
out, it also keeps the computer from echoing garbage to itself on the line.

A few terminals, many modems, and virtually all printers implement some kind
of hardware flow control, although its virtually always optional. You'll need
more wires for those. For intelligent modems you have to figure at least 4
pairs (8 wires). Sequent's Systech terminal mixes don't handle hardware flow
control very well, though, so this is not much of an issue in the short term;
but plan for down the road. Actually, for modems I would generally advise to
stick within RS-232 specs: no more than 50', unless you are using a special
low-capacitance cable, in which case you can go to 200' or so.

I would *not* recommend connecting pin 1; it creates funny ground problems if
you aren't absolutely sure of what you are doing. If using shielded wire, then
connect the shield to the connector shell, not to pin 1. (If you aren't using
metal-shell connectors, then their's no point in using shielded cable.)

<csg>