[comp.sys.sequent] making 'perl'

perl@pbseps.PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) (02/28/91)

I need some help in making 'perl-3.0' on our Symmetry 3.0.17.9 NFS.  I have
gone through the CONFIGURE program and rechecked config.h.  I added
'#include <math.h>' to perl.h and made sure ODBM e=was def'ed
correctly.  Still I get the following from make (after running a make
depend): BTW I am using the atscc compiler.

Output from "make":
        atscc   array.o cmd.o cons.o consarg.o doarg.o doio.o dolist.o dump.o
eval.o form.o hash.o malloc.o perly.o regcomp.o regexec.o stab.o str.o toke.o
util.o perl.o usersub.o -lseq  -o perl
Undefined:
_pow
_cos
_sin
_atan2
_sqrt
_log
_exp
_fetch
_delete
_firstkey
_nextkey
_dbminit
_store
*** Error code 1
Make: .  Stop.

This seems to be the offending line from the Makefile:

perl: perl.o $(obj) usersub.o
        $(CC) $(LARGE) $(CLDFLAGS) $(obj) perl.o usersub.o $(libs) -o perl

Ideas???
--
   "I will fight no more never again", Chief Joseph (of the Nez Pierce Indians)
   "In war there is no right side and no winning side", me

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb27.171913.23703@PacBell.COM>, perl@pbseps (Richard Perlman) writes:
| Output from "make":
|         atscc   array.o cmd.o cons.o consarg.o doarg.o doio.o dolist.o dump.o
| eval.o form.o hash.o malloc.o perly.o regcomp.o regexec.o stab.o str.o toke.o
| util.o perl.o usersub.o -lseq  -o perl
| Undefined:
| _pow
| _cos
| _sin
| _atan2
| _sqrt
| _log
| _exp
| _fetch
| _delete
| _firstkey
| _nextkey
| _dbminit
| _store
| *** Error code 1
| Make: .  Stop.

It looks like you aren't getting -ldbm and -lm in your command line.
Are you using the latest Perl (3.044 or 4.0 beta)?

Someone with a name like yours ought to always have the latest Perl. :-)

You could try running Configure again, making sure that "-lm" and
"-ldbm" show up for "Any additional libraries?".  If not, you can
force them.  (If you are running the latest Perl, and they don't show
up, write lwall@devvax.jpl.nasa.gov and complain.)

print "Just another Perl hacker,"
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

rbj@uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) (02/28/91)

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:
>perl@pbseps (Richard Perlman) writes:
>| Output from "make":
>|         atscc   array.o cmd.o cons.o consarg.o doarg.o doio.o dolist.o dump.o
>| eval.o form.o hash.o malloc.o perly.o regcomp.o regexec.o stab.o str.o toke.o
>| util.o perl.o usersub.o -lseq  -o perl
>| Undefined:
>| [LOTS OF STUFF]
>
>It looks like you aren't getting -ldbm and -lm in your command line.
>Are you using the latest Perl (3.044 or 4.0 beta)?

I agree. Did you run Configure?

***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***WARNING***

You will have to have to change the config.sh line which says

d_castneg='define'
d_castneg='undef'

This changes the line in config.h
from
#define         CASTNEGFLOAT    /**/
/*#undef        CASTNEGFLOAT    /**/

For some reason that Configure can't figure out,
not doing this causes problems. You will either get
floating point exceptions, or other random complaints.

In particular, the tcbreak script in h2pl won't work.

I have tried this with 3.044 with both cc and atscc.
I have also tried 4.0beta with atscc only.
All on an S81 running dynix 3.0.17.9.

>Someone with a name like yours ought to always have the latest Perl. :-)

Yeah, and the latest man too. Sequent's doesn't support MANPATH.
However, they do compress the cat files, which is nice.
--
		[rbj@uunet 1] stty sane
		unknown mode: sane

perl@PacBell.COM (Richard Perlman) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb27.171913.23703@PacBell.COM> perl@pbseps.PacBell.COM I wrote:
>I need some help in making 'perl-3.0' on our Symmetry 3.0.17.9 NFS.

Thanks to all who replied, ( Randal L. Schwartz, 'Root Boy Jim',
Kevin Braunsdorf, Ric Anderson and Samuel W Ho) I found out that
when I added -lseq to the library list (and -lseq isn't even needed)
I inadvertently dropped the -lm and -ldmb library options.

Mea Maxima Culpa

Richard (man included) Perlman