[comp.sys.sequent] X11R4 on dynix 3.0.17

jmf@neptune.dsc.com (Mitch Ferguson) (05/24/91)

I'm looking for a sequent.cf file that works.

We have encountered several problems with X11R4

1) xterm bombs in the compile
	We have fixed that by changing a line with haddr
	to haddr0.
2) twm always thinks there is another twm running,
	or can't find any unmanaged windows.
3) xterm (when compiled) have inappropriate ioctle fot device.

if anyone has any tips I would be eternally grateful.

- mitch
*************
jmf@dschub.dsc.edu%ucsbcsl.uucp
3413jmf@hub.ucsb.edu

Mitch Ferguson
Digital Sound Corp.
Santa Barbara, Ca
(805) 566 2000

david@torsqnt.uucp (David Haynes) (05/24/91)

jmf@neptune.dsc.com (Mitch Ferguson) writes:

>I'm looking for a sequent.cf file that works.

>We have encountered several problems with X11R4

>1) xterm bombs in the compile
>	We have fixed that by changing a line with haddr
>	to haddr0.
>2) twm always thinks there is another twm running,
>	or can't find any unmanaged windows.
>3) xterm (when compiled) have inappropriate ioctle fot device.

>if anyone has any tips I would be eternally grateful.

I am not sure which sequent.cf file you are using, but this is the
one I use. (for Dynix 3.0.17) I've also included the site.def I use.

Please note that this file is not in any way, shape or form supported
by Sequent, I'm just someone who plays with X a fair deal.

-david-

-----------------( Cut Here )---------------------------
/*
 * SET VERSION NUMBERS BEFORE MAKING MAKEFILES
 */

#define OSName            4.2bsd
#define OSMajorVersion    4
#define OSMinorVersion    2

#define HasGcc NO 	/* very useful for the server */

#define HasVoidSignalReturn NO

/**/# platform:  $XConsortium: sequent.cf,v 1.8 89/12/23 14:19:17 jim Exp $
/**/# operating system:  OSName

/*****************************************************************************
 *			  Platform-specfic parameters                        *
 *****************************************************************************/

#if OSMajorVersion >= 4 && OSMinorVersion >= 3
#define SetTtyGroup YES
#endif

#define HasBsearch NO
#define BuildServer NO

/*
#define DefaultCDebugFlag	-g
#define LibraryCDebufFlag	-g
*/

----------------( Next File )----------------------------

/**/# site:  $XConsortium: site.def,v 1.21 89/12/06 11:46:50 jim Exp $

/*****************************************************************************
 *                                                                           *
 *			   SITE-SPECIFIC DEFINITIONS                         *
 *                                                                           *
 * Override any of the defaults in *.tmpl here.  Use ifndef so that servers  *
 * can override you if necessary:                                            *
 *                                                                           *
 *     #ifndef ABuildParameter                                               *
 *     #define ABuildParameter myvalue                                       *
 *     #endif                                                                *
 *                                                                           *
 * Make sure you check the following parameters:                             *
 *                                                                           *
 *     1.  HasLargeTmp                                                       *
 *     2.  InstallOldHeaderFiles                                             *
 *     3.  ContribDir                                                        *
 *     4.  HasXwWidgets                                                      *
 *     5.  HasXcuWidgets                                                     *
 *                                                                           *
 * Note on using DESTDIR:  If you want to install into a scratch directory   *
 * but will eventually move the tree back to the root, compile with DESTDIR  *
 * blank and install with "make install DESTDIR=directory".                  *
 *                                                                           *
 * We strongly recommend that you don't change the installation directories  *
 * and just use symbolic links if you want things to be installed on a       *
 * different partition.  For example,                                        *
 *                                                                           *
 *     # cd directory_containing_X_distribution                              *
 *     # make World                                                          *
 *     # mkdir /otherdisk/X                                                  *
 *     # foreach i (bin lib include)                                         *
 *     >     mkdir /otherdisk/X/$i                                           *
 *     >     ln -s /otherdisk/X/$i /usr/$i/X11                               *
 *     > end                                                                 *
 *     # make install                                                        *
 *                                                                           *
 *****************************************************************************/

/*
 * SET THESE PARAMETERS FIRST !!!
 */

/*
 * 1.  HasLargeTmp - if your /tmp space is less than a 1meg, you should
 * probably set this to NO
 */
#ifndef HasLargeTmp
#define HasLargeTmp YES
#endif

/*
 * 2.  InstallOldHeaderFiles - set the following to YES until you have
 * converted your Xaw programs to use the new naming scheme.
 */
#ifndef InstallOldHeaderFiles
#define InstallOldHeaderFiles NO	/* set to YES for compat with R3 Xaw */
#endif

/*
 * 3.  ContribDir - set ContribDir to wherever you've placed your sources; the
 * R4 tape comes with the core tree in ./mit and the contrib tree in ./contrib,
 * so to get to contrib, go up from TOP:
 */
#ifndef ContribDir
#define ContribDir $(TOP)/../contrib
#endif

/*
 * 4.  HasXwWidgets - if you want to have make variables for the Xw widgets
 * used in Doug Young's book, set this to YES.
 */
#ifndef HasXwWidgets		/* whether or not to include make vars */
#define HasXwWidgets NO
#endif

/*
 * 5.  HasXcuWidgets - if you want to have make variables for the Xcu widgets,
 * set this to YES.
 */
#ifndef HasXcuWidgets		/* whether or not to include make vars */
#define HasXcuWidgets NO
#endif

/*****************************************************************************
 *                                                                           *
 *			       Build Parameters                              *
 *                                                                           *
 *****************************************************************************/

/*
 * If you want to use GCC, set HasGcc in the appropriate .cf files.  This
 * results in substantial improvements for the server.
 */
#ifndef HasGcc
#define HasGcc NO
#endif

#if HasGcc
#ifndef CcCmd
#ifdef UseInstalled		/* if outside the tree */
#define CcCmd gcc -DNOSTDHDRS -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return -fwritable-strings -traditional
#else				/* server won't compile with -traditional */
#define CcCmd gcc -DNOSTDHDRS -fstrength-reduce -fpcc-struct-return
#endif
#endif
#endif

#ifndef ExtensionDefines
#if SystemV
#define ExtensionDefines -DSHAPE -DMULTIBUFFER -DMITSHM -DMITMISC
#else
#define ExtensionDefines -DSHAPE -DMULTIBUFFER -DMITMISC
#endif
#endif

#ifdef ATHENA
#ifndef DoInstallExtensionsIntoXlib
#define DoInstallExtensionsIntoXlib YES		/* for Makefile hosers */
#endif
#endif

/*
 * Make sure that the library has compatibility stuff built into it, for wno
 */
#ifndef BuildXawBC
#define BuildXawBC YES			/* headers can be installed later */
#endif
#ifndef CompatibilityFlags
#if InstallOldHeaderFiles
#define CompatibilityFlags -DXAW_BC
#else
#define CompatibilityFlags /**/
#endif
#endif

#ifndef SharedLibXext
#define SharedLibXext NO	/* XXX - haven't made it sharable yet */
#endif
--
David Haynes	Sequent Computer Systems (Canada) Ltd.	 david@torsqnt.UUCP
Sometimes I think the world is filled with mindless sheep constantly bleating

gustav@arp.anu.edu.au (Zdzislaw Meglicki) (05/26/91)

In article <jmf.675022068@neptune>, jmf@neptune.dsc.com (Mitch Ferguson) writes:
|> I'm looking for a sequent.cf file that works.
|>
|> We have encountered several problems with X11R4
|>
|> 1) xterm bombs in the compile
|> 	We have fixed that by changing a line with haddr
|> 	to haddr0.
|> 2) twm always thinks there is another twm running,
|> 	or can't find any unmanaged windows.
|> 3) xterm (when compiled) have inappropriate ioctle fot device.
|>
|> if anyone has any tips I would be eternally grateful.

Below are my examples of the files you have asked about.

Note the following important aspects: GNU C (gcc) is used throughout.
The extra libraries are -llocal and -lseq. In my -llocal I have functions
such as memchr, memcmp, memcpy, strchr, strrchr, strtok, vfprintf, vprintf,
and vsprintf. You can get the sources from the freed 4.3BSD sources on
uunet.uu.net. I have also asked gcc to USE_CRYPT and search includes in
/usr/gnu/lib/gcc-include (which is where they are on my systems).
All X11 facilities work very nicely on my system now. You must make
absolutely sure that there are no errors of any kind in your "make World"
log. Redo the stuff if you find errors there. I wasn't able to compile
X11 smoothly with DYNIX' cc.

My GNU C uses also GNU assembler (gas-1.38.1) and GNU loader from binutils-1.7.
These are available via anonymous ftp from prep.ai.mit.edu. To compile
GNU assembler you will have to modify the file a.out.gnu.h. Here is
the diff:
======================
gustav@vulcan 13 $ diff a.out.gnu.h.ORIG a.out.gnu.h
3a4,12
> #if defined(sequent) && defined(i386)
> #define a_magic a_info
> #include <a.out.h>
> #undef a_magic
> #define __STRUCT_EXEC_OVERRIDE__
> #define N_NLIST_DECLARED
> #define N_RELOCATION_INFO_DECLARED
> #endif

67a77
> #ifndef OMAGIC
73a84
> #endif /* not OMAGIC */
gustav@vulcan 14 $
=======================

Now the X11 configuration files:

sequent.cf:
======================
/*
 * SET VERSION NUMBERS BEFORE MAKING MAKEFILES
 */

#define OSName                  DYNIX
#define OSMajorVersion          3
#define OSMinorVersion          0
#define HasGcc                  YES
#define DefaultCCOptions        -pipe
#define ExtraLibraries          -llocal -lseq
#define HasVoidSignalReturn     NO
#define HasBsearch              NO
#define BuildServer             NO
#define StandardDefines         -DUSE_CRYPT
#define StandardIncludes        -I/usr/gnu/lib/gcc-include

#define ExtensionDefines -DSHAPE -DMULTIBUFFER -DMITMISC

site.def:
======================
[...]

#define InstallOldHeaderFiles YES       /* set to YES for compat with R3 Xaw */
#endif

/*
 * 3.  ContribDir - set ContribDir to wherever you've placed your sources; the
 * R4 tape comes with the core tree in ./mit and the contrib tree in ./contrib,
 * so to get to contrib, go up from TOP:
 */
#ifndef ContribDir
#define ContribDir $(TOP)/../contrib
#endif

/*
 * 4.  HasXwWidgets - if you want to have make variables for the Xw widgets
 * used in Doug Young's book, set this to YES.
 */
#ifndef HasXwWidgets            /* whether or not to include make vars */
#define HasXwWidgets YES
#endif

/*
 * 5.  HasXcuWidgets - if you want to have make variables for the Xcu widgets,
 * set this to YES.
 */
#ifndef HasXcuWidgets           /* whether or not to include make vars */
#define HasXcuWidgets YES
#endif

 *                             Build Parameters                              *

/*
[...]

   Gustav Meglicki, gustav@arp.anu.edu.au,
   Automated Reasoning Project, RSSS, and Plasma Theory Group, RSPhysS,
   The Australian National University, G.P.O. Box 4, Canberra, A.C.T., 2601,
   Australia, fax: (Australia)-6-249-0747, tel: (Australia)-6-249-0158