[comp.sys.workstations] SCREENS HURT EYES

dyckman@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Howard L. Dyckman) (11/11/87)

[Correct date is
	Date: 11 Oct 87 01:15:54 GMT
-ds]

My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under the
eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.

Another screen was mildly irritating; I had to use it with the
intensity turned down low.

These screens feel harsh to my eyes; they also "feel" brighter than
they look.

I am an experienced Mac user; older Mac screens have never hurt my
eyes.

Has anyone encountered problems like this?  (PLEASE BE ALERT TO PEOPLE
YOU KNOW OR MIGHT HEAR ABOUT.)  If so, please reply to me directly.
You can also post on the comp.sys.mac bulletin board.

     Howard L. Dyckman, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Phillips Hall,
     Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853.
          dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

Here's more info:

The screens which bothered me had purple tint or blue with slight
purple tint.  I have inspected some of them; mfr is Clinton Taiwan
Corp.

Eyes hurt much worse than what ophthalmologist describes here:

In article <993@ski.UUCP> dr@ski.UUCP (David Robins) writes:
>As an ophthalmologist, I have seen many computer-related eye
>problems.  All of them have turned out to be *NOT* due to the
>computer equipment itself, except when an out-of-focus or flickering
>system causes eyestrain.  ... Staring at anything, but particularly a
>terminal, reduces the blink rate.  Tear evaporation takes place, and
>air "burns" the conjunctiva and cornea.  This leads to dryness,
>grittyness, foreign body sensation, burning, and sometimes
>photophobia (light sensitivity).  It can feel just like UV keratitis
>(corneal burn).  ...
>Treatment is the same, but UV burn takes 1-2 days to heal, whereas
>dry eye heals overnight.  One uses artificial tears, an
>over-the-counter preparation, every 1-2 hours, ointment at bedtime
>optional.

My eyes have been sore, dry, and sensitive for months, not 1-2 days.
They are recovering slowly.  At one time, my eyes were so dry that
mild breezes bothered them, making it very uncomfortable to take a
walk outdoors.  These and other symptoms were caused by some recent
Macintosh computer screens (SE, Plus).  Prior to this experience,
other exposures produced symptoms which lasted for days.

I am an experienced Mac user; older Mac screens (as well as other
computer screens) have never hurt my eyes.

Ophthalmologist's reply above is well meant but is not the explanation
for my symptoms.

If you know of anyone who has had similar problems (perhaps milder or
shorter lasting) please contact me directly.

roberts%cognos@math.waterloo.EDU (Robert Stanley) (11/25/87)

In article <2612@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> dyckman@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU
 (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
>My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
>Symptoms include sensitivity to light, dryness, grittiness under the
>eyelids, soreness.  A brief exposure produced only soreness.
			:
	    much text deleted......

Readers of this newsgroup should probably be aware that this very same
posting has appeared at least twice in comp.sys.mac, has engendered no
follow-up postings reporting similar experiences, and has finally been
objected to on precisely that ground.  Mr Dyckman was recently asked
to stop repeating his posting on the subject.

Given that comp.sys.mac has a large and enthusiastic audience of
regular Macintosh users, many of whom would appear to be all day,
every day hackers, it would be extremely interesting if anyone in this
group reports a similar experience.  At present it would appear that
the lowest common denominator is Mr. Dyckman and not the Apple
Macintosh.  If he is indeed uniquely sensitive, he is to be pitied,
and I would suggest he picks an alternate computer.  I doubt that his
case is any different to that of someone who is allergic to real
leather, and therefore can't drive a Rolls Royce; it is an extremely
unusual allergy.

--
R.A. Stanley             Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1440 (Research: there are 2!)           3755 Riverside Drive

jem97@LEAH.ALBANY.EDU (Jim Mower) (12/02/87)

In article <1858@cognos.UUCP>, roberts%cognos@math.waterloo.EDU
(Robert Stanley) writes:
>  (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
> >My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
> 	    much text deleted......
>
> Readers of this newsgroup should probably be aware that this very
> same posting has appeared at least twice in comp.sys.mac, has
> engendered no follow-up postings reporting similar experiences, and
> has finally been objected to on precisely that ground.  Mr Dyckman
> was recently asked to stop repeating his posting on the subject...
> --  	    much text deleted......
> R.A. Stanley             Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707

Although no one may have followed up on the original article in
comp.sys.mac, I don't subscribe to that newsgroup.  I don't use Macs
but I do design maps for display on workstation monitors and have been
concerned with setting appropriate value levels for the background.
Has anyone experienced the problem mentioned in the original posting
with any monitor using a high value background?

Jim Mower, Dept. of Geography and Regional Planning
jem97@leah.albany.edu

jem97@LEAH.ALBANY.EDU (Jim Mower) (02/02/88)

[Actual date is
	Date: 2 Dec 87 15:17:47 GMT
-ds (moderator)]

(Robert Stanley) writes:
>  (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
> >My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
> 	    much text deleted......
>
> Readers of this newsgroup should probably be aware that this very
> same posting has appeared at least twice in comp.sys.mac, has
> engendered no follow-up postings reporting similar experiences, and
> has finally been objected to on precisely that ground.  Mr Dyckman
> was recently asked to stop repeating his posting on the subject...
> --  	    much text deleted......
> R.A. Stanley             Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707

Although no one may have followed up on the original article in
comp.sys.mac, I don't subscribe to that newsgroup.  I don't use Macs
but I do design maps for display on workstation monitors and have been
concerned with setting appropriate value levels for the background.
Has anyone experienced the problem mentioned in the original posting
with any monitor using a high value background?

Jim Mower, Dept. of Geography and Regional Planning
jem97@leah.albany.edu

stpeters@dawn.UUCP (Dick St.Peters) (02/03/88)

[Actual date is
	Date: 2 Dec 87 22:44:44 GMT
-ds (moderator)]

Stanley) writes:
>In article <2612@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> dyckman@TCGOULD.TN.CORNELL.EDU
> (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
>>My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
>Mr Dyckman was recently asked
>to stop repeating his posting on the subject.
>
>At present it would appear that the lowest common denominator is Mr.
>Dyckman and not the Apple Macintosh.  If he is indeed uniquely
>sensitive, he is to be pitied, and I would suggest he picks an
>alternate computer.

Mr. Dyckman may indeed be uniquely sensitive, but picking an alternate
computer likely won't help.  His environment is the more likely
villain.

Nearly (if not absolutely) everyone is sensitive, to some degree, to
eyestrain induced by using terminals of any sort in brightly lit
places.  New York State has just issued guidelines to state agencies
for lighting in areas where terminals are used.  They require subdued
overhead lighting and desk lamps for paperwork.

I've long preferred to work in the dark, and I've received a lot of
good-natured ribbing about it from the non-computer-type folks who
make up most of my group.  However, those same people are using
workstations in their work more and more, and every time I go by the
group's public workstation area lately, they have the lights off.

I've also noticed more and more of the computer jocks around here
taking to working with lights off or greatly dimmed.

Try it a while.  Most likely you will come to like it, and your eyes
will certainly be better off for it.  You may also be able to turn
down the brightness of your screen, and then it will last longer too.
--
Dick St.Peters
GE Corporate R&D, Schenectady, NY

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (02/05/88)

[Actual date is
	Date: 5 Dec 87 03:09:37 GMT
-ds (moderator)]

In article <1858@cognos.UUCP>, roberts%cognos@math.waterloo.EDU
> (Robert Stanley) writes:
> >  (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
> >>My eyes have been hurt by some recent Macintosh screens (SE, Plus).
> Readers of this newsgroup should probably be aware that this very
> same posting has appeared at least twice in comp.sys.mac, has
> engendered no follow-up postings reporting similar experiences, and
> has finally been objected to on precisely that ground.  Mr Dyckman
> was recently asked to stop repeating his posting on the subject...

OK fine ... here's one for you...For the short time that I have worked
on Macs (1 yr) they hurt my eyes...and I have heard the complaint from
at least two other co-workers (one a Mac enthusiast).

I can understand why the a Mac net group might not be interested in
this "wart".  My understanding is that their are other monitors
available for the Mac line (i don't know if they help the situation).