[comp.sys.workstations] Hardware purchase advice request

en2j@vax1.UUCP (Thomas Purcell) (12/02/87)

This is a request for advice: I'm trying to put together a very
respectable personal system for the next couple of years (till the
Super-engineering workstations come down to $5k.).  Its uses would
include some commercial applications (that is, business type stuff)
and software development.  Preferred characteristics are:

	o	Unix -- now or very soon (avail. within 1 yr.)

	o	desktop publishing at least up to mac quality level

	ooo	multiple operating system capability, even if this
		anticipates additional processor cards  (methinks
		this is better than buying 4 different machines.?.)

	o	speed.  don't want my hair to turn grey while I'm
		waiting for something running on a hardware simulator,
		for example, to execute a single instruction

	o	color graphics better than IBM cga, cheaper than a
		$50k Silicon Graphics workstation

	o	full-page display would be pretty handy.

	o	Big harddrive; ample memory
		(80 meg, 2 Meg is a nice starting point, bigger better)

	o	Don't need (right now) state of the art CAD/CAM
		facilities.  Can't go much over the $10k limit.
		Or, need to aim for near to $5k for a
		stripped machine if I'm to afford the bells
		& whistles.

Multiple OS support is a goody and a biggy that I'd really like.
(Seems like this would depend on architecture and vendor's
economics...)  Here's my reasoning:

	I can afford to buy ONE flexible machine, and equip it with
	some REALLY nice goodies: a very good display, a massive (for
	one user) hard drive, similarly generous RAM, a backup system,
	and so on.: All the goodies that make an environment more fun!
	But, once I've invested in all those nice things, I want to be
	able to work with (read/write) and write code for Unix,
	MS-DOS, and Mac's OS. (For starters.)  I CAN'T afford to buy
	three or four vendor's machines and equip each one of them as
	nicely as the single hypothetical machine above.

	So, even if I have to install some extra processor boards
	{which had better be REAL ones that are available or will
	be -- hypothetical boards don't run real software }, AND
	suffer some slowdown, I think I'm much better off with one
	multifaceted machine.

If YOU can recommend (or sell to me) something that will approach my
Pipe-Dream as above, please let me know what it is and how much it'll
cost.  I welcome the suggestion of a machine which hasn't been
released yet, if it fits the bill, and WILL be released within 6 mos.
to a year.  Or, If you'd find my reasoning faulty, I invite
criticisms.

Please send a copy of your response directly to me.

-thomas
en2j@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu
en2j@crnlvax1.bitnet

en2j@vax1.UUCP (Thomas Purcell) (02/02/88)

[Actual date is
	Date: 2 Dec 87 08:44:38 GMT
-ds (moderator)]

marc@ima.isc.COM (Marc Evans) (02/08/88)

In article <573@vax1.UUCP> en2j@vax1.UUCP (Thomas Purcell) writes:
>This is a request for advice: I'm trying to put together a very
>respectable personal system for the next couple of years (till the
>Super-engineering workstations come down to $5k.).  Its uses would
>include some commercial applications (that is, business type stuff)
>and software development.  Preferred characteristics are:
...etc...

I have recently purchased a system from Quantus of Hudson, NH their
MT386 system with the following specs:

	- 80386 at 4.77/6/8/10/16/20 MHz
	- 80387 socket
	- 2Mb Interleaved Dynamic RAM (designed for 0 wait state @ 20
          MHz!!!)
	- Memory expandable to 8Mb on 1 board, or 16Mb on 2 boards
	- Full-height 80MB hard drive (Seagate 28ms)
	- 1.2Mb floppy half height drive
	- floppy/hard drive controller
	- Phoenix BIOS
	- Hercules compatable text/graphics card
	- Mono Monitor
	- Speaker
	- 8 expansion slots (2, 32-bit slots for memory boards)
	- room for up to a total of 5 half height drives
	- 101 key enhanced keyboard
	- 200 watt power supply
	- 3 year limited warrenty

How much would you pay for this? Well, they list it for $2995!!! I can
not find anybody else offering as good, besides the fact that they are
located 2 towns away from where I live. Use AMEX to purchase, and
you'll have a 4 year limited warrenty.

As far as software - get yourself a copy of Interactive Systems 386/IX
UNIX.  This includes the VP/IX stuff from Phoenix which allows DOS
programs to run under the UNIX system. For speed reasons, you may also
want the *REAL* MS/DOS or OS2.