[comp.sys.workstations] Student Computer Labs

UH2@psuvm.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (02/06/88)

[Actual date is
	Date: 9 Dec 87 17:41:36 GMT
-ds (moderator)]

I am preparing the specs for a Student Computer Lab for Information
Systems majors in a School of Business.  We have about 50 juniors and
50 seniors in any one semester, who take courses in Database, Analysis
and Design (2 semester sequence), and Communications.  (They also take
several comps sci courses, but those need not concern us here, I
hope.)

I have questions for the NETS.  How many workstations do we need?
What software (dbms, case, networks) is best for STUDENT INSTRUCTIONAL
purposes?  What vendors support such student labs?  What types of
facilities do you have at your university?

My analysis indicates that we need about 15 workstations, either
LANned or attached to a mini.  We have limited person-power, so low
maintenence is important.  What are our options, and how much shall we
pay?

Thanks.  Hope to hear interesting ideas.

UH2@psuvm.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (02/10/88)

From: Lee Sailer <UH2@psuvm.bitnet>
Subject: Re: Student Computer Labs
Date: 9 Feb 88 20:15:38 GMT

We are investigating DEC's VMS Server software for managing a couple
of labs full of MSDOS workstations (Temporary Cash flow problems).  It
offers a lot of nice features.

o WS's don't need a hard disk.

o Users boot from the server.

o Users get 26 virtual hard disks.

o Server can control the number of MSDOS programs being run, so for
example if you only own 5 legal copies of RBase, the sixth user gets a
"Try again later" message.

o User capabilities can be individually established in a config file.

o print, plot, modem, disk servers allowed.

o Printer on WS can be both local and shared.

o Gateways to other nets available.  In particular, local printer can
be configured as an printer location for users on other nets.

o supports an 80386 box that will supply multiple msdos to users on
terminals.

So.  Has anybody got any real experience with this system.  I don't
have the exact specs in front of me, but I think we are talking a
uVAX, VMS, DECNET, and Ethernet.