[comp.sys.workstations] VaxStation 2000 / SUN-3/50

jim@cs.vu.nl (Jim van Keulen) (02/05/88)

[Actual date is
	Date: 14 Dec 87 10:48:11 GMT
-ds (moderator)]

I am interested in comparisons of VaxStations 2000 vs SUN-3/50
workstations.  I would be grateful for information about performance,
compatibility of Ultrix and SunOs, ergonomical aspects, extensibility,
etc.  If you have an opinion about the relative merits of these two
workstations, please let me hear it.

Jim van Keulen
Dept  CS and Math
Vrije Universiteit
Amsterdam

email: jim@cs.vu.nl

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) (02/08/88)

In article <1785@botter.cs.vu.nl>, jim@cs.vu.nl (Jim van Keulen) writes:
> I am interested in comparisons of VaxStations 2000 vs SUN-3/50

I know nothing about the VaxStation ... however the Sun 3/50 is Sun's
lowend model.  It has 4 Meg RAM, 19" monochrome monitor, runs SunOS
(Sun Unix)....

Apparently Sun is releasing a new version of SunOS or NFS (or has
already released) that allows the Sun 3/50 to boot off of other
machines besides a Sun (like a Vax 11/780).

jec@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU (02/09/88)

	When we were comparing the two machines, the VAX2000 seemed to
be very sluggish are far as screen I/O.  Part of this might be due to
slow X software, but on standard benchmarks it seemed to be
consistently out-preformed by the SUN-3/50.

    III			Usenet:     iuvax!jec
UUU  I  UUU		ARPANet:    jec@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
 U   I   U		Phone:      (812) 335-7729
 U   I   U		U.S. Mail:  Indiana University
 U   I   U			    Dept. of Computer Science
  UUUIUUU			    021-E Lindley Hall
     I				    Bloomington, IN. 47405
    III (Home of the Indiana Hoosiers-- 1987 NCAA Basketball Champions)

mkhaw@TEKNOWLEDGE-VAXC.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (03/08/88)

> In article <1785@botter.cs.vu.nl>, jim@cs.vu.nl (Jim van Keulen) writes:
>> I am interested in comparisons of VaxStations 2000 vs SUN-3/50

We develop a lot of C code at Teknowledge on a variety of hardware,
including Sun-3/50s and a VAXstation 2000 running uVMS.  Both types of
systems have local disk (70Mb or 140Mb SCSI).  I don't know if the
2000 has 4Mb RAM like the 3/50s, but it has h/w floating point, which
most of our 3/50s don't.  We find that for compiling/linking/running
tests, the VAXstation 2000 is about 8-10 times SLOWER.

Also, while the "VAX C" compiler has some nice features (like function
prototypes and good code generation), and VMS is more helpful in
producing tracebacks when a program crashes, the windowing system you
get with VMS is pretty poor.  It's just a clunky multiple VT220 (or
Tektronix 4014 -- ick!) emulation environment.  You can't even cut and
paste between windows.  It's also pretty nearly impossible to
customize the environment the way you can in suntools.  If you like
the integrated environment that the various emacses give you on Unix,
sorry, it doesn't work under VMS: no M-x compile, no M-x shell, ...

If you run Ultrix on the 2000, you get X10 as your windowing system.
X is OK, but I find suntools easier to learn
(meta-control-left-mouse-what?)  than X, and easier to deal with.

On the other hand, (flame on) both DEC and Sun charge too much for
peripherals, documentation, and service.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa