[comp.sys.pyramid] Documenter's WorkBench in 4.0

aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) (09/11/87)

On our OSx 4.0 tape the 'makedev' program that DWB uses was not present,
making it impossible for us to use Adobe's TranScript package on our
LaserWriter with ditroff -- it needs to have makedev create a device
description apparently.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  If not, and you'd be willing to
to mail me a 'makedev' binary, would you please drop me a note?  Note
that there IS a makedev program in /etc -- this is NOT the one.  (I assume
this is the reason the DWB makedev didn't make it onto the tape...)
I've tried pursuing it within Pyramid for the last three months and haven't
heard a peep from them on this so your help would be appreciated.
--

Andrew Burt 				   			isis!aburt

              Fight Denver's pollution:  Don't Breathe and Drive.

linda@ee.brunel.ac.uk (Linda Birmingham) (09/14/87)

In article <1935@isis.UUCP> aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt) writes:
>On our OSx 4.0 tape the 'makedev' program that DWB uses was not present,
>making it impossible for us to use Adobe's TranScript package on our
>LaserWriter with ditroff -- it needs to have makedev create a device
>description apparently.
>--
I haven't looked for makedev but just to cheer you up ditroff (i.e. att troff
doesn't work for us !!)

I'll see if I can find something unless Pyramid get there first ofcourse ;-)

--
'STRAIGHTFORWARDNESS WITHOUT CIVILITY IS LIKE A SURGEONS KNIFE, EFFECTIVE
 BUT UNPLEASANT'

elwell@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Clayton Elwell) (09/15/87)

As for makedev, I FTP'd a copy of makedev.c off of MIT-PREP
(PREP.AI.MIT.EDU).  I don't know if Pyramid supplied the same version
of DITROFF, or in fact if this was legal, but since we have a System V
source license I'm not worried.  It compiles and seems to run fine,
but once I compiled the device description for devpsc, I found another
problem: the macro files seem to be screwed up somehow.  I've been
going through and changing font numbers to the corresponding letters,
but this is kind of slow, since I don't grok TROFF (I'm a TeX person,
myself...).  I'll trade you a binary for a working set of macros...

--Clayton Elwell
  The Ohio State University Department of Computer & Information Science
  Research Computing Facility
...!cbosgd!osu-cis!tut!elwell (for now)

PS: In case anyone else is interested, this has been reported to
    Pyramid, but it seems to have been an omission on AT&T's part when
    they put the System V.2 distribution together.  Sigh.