[comp.sys.pyramid] NFS Problem

dave@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Dave Bloom) (03/22/88)

I've just loaded NFS on our 90x running 4.0, and I have this problem:

	1) I mount the pyramid's /u1 filesystem on my sun:
		# /etc/mount andromeda:/u1 /mnt
		#
	2) I cd into the mounted filesystem:
		# cd /mnt
		#
	3) I check to see if everything's there:
		# ls -l
		total 0
		#

This can't be! My whole filesystem including /u1/dave should be there!

	4) Just to be kinky, I see if my directory is indeed inaccessable:
		# cd dave
		#
	5) Is anything there?
		# ls -l
		total 0
		#
	6) Let's try catting a file:
		# cat mbox
		------- mbox type stuff appears ---
		#

It's as though every directory on the pyramid has read permissions turned
off. I checked the mount point on the sun, and it DOES have read and ex-
ecute permissions. The filesystems are all properly exported.

The RTOC seems to think the problem is on the sun for no particular reason.
I explained to him that I've been mounting file systems between suns for
months without problems... he says he'll get back to me.

Have any of you folks had this problem? Romain... are you out there?

              \  pyramid \                          Dave Bloom
ihnp4!packard  >!rutgers  >!andromeda!dave          Office: (201) 648-5083
      allegra /     phri /

steve@cs.umd.EDU (Steven D. Miller) (03/22/88)

   You're taking into account the uid 0 -> uid -2 mapping here, right?
It seems that you're running as root on the Pyramid.  What do the permissions
and the ownerships look like on the directories you're poking.

   It does seem strange that you're seeing the symptoms you're seeing, but
I haven't sat down and thought hard about how such things might occur, or
even if they might occur.

	-Steve

sas@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Scott Schoenthal) (03/23/88)

In article <477@galaxy> dave@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Dave Bloom) writes:
>I've just loaded NFS on our 90x running 4.0, and I have this problem:
[ .. ]
>It's as though every directory on the pyramid has read permissions turned
>off. I checked the mount point on the sun, and it DOES have read and ex-
>ecute permissions. The filesystems are all properly exported.
>
>The RTOC seems to think the problem is on the sun for no particular reason.
>I explained to him that I've been mounting file systems between suns for
>months without problems... he says he'll get back to me.

There was a series of fixes in 4.0 PTFs to problems with directory reading
between Suns (and PCs) and Pyramids.  Most of these involved the Pyramid as
client.  The customer should move to the latest PTF if it has not already
been installed.  In addition, OSx 4.1 has many improvements (functional and
performance) over earlier releases of NFS.

sas
----
Scott Schoenthal   sas@pyrps5.pyramid.com	Pyramid Technology Corp.

bks@unisoft.UUCP (Brian K. Shiratsuki) (03/23/88)

In article <477@galaxy> dave@andromeda (Dave Bloom) writes:
>		# /etc/mount andromeda:/u1 /mnt
>		# cd /mnt
>		# cd dave
>		# ls -l
>		total 0
>		# cat mbox
>		------- mbox type stuff appears ---
if you have your directories set to something like 751, i could see something
like this happening.  your permissions as root on the sun are turned into
permissions as ``nobody'' (uid -2, usually) on the pyramid.  then the ``others''
bits would determine your permissions, and only allow you execute.

					brian

foo
foo
--

				brian

dave@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Dave Bloom) (03/24/88)

In article <17382@pyramid.pyramid.com> Scott Schoenthal writes:

> There was a series of fixes in 4.0 PTFs to problems with directory reading
> between Suns (and PCs) and Pyramids.  Most of these involved the Pyramid as
> client.  The customer should move to the latest PTF if it has not already
> been installed.  In addition, OSx 4.1 has many improvements (functional and
> performance) over earlier releases of NFS.

Scott was our RTOC contact concerning the problem I posted earlier. Indeed,
the problems we were having were kernel related directory reading problems
which were fixed when I applied the PTF's that Scott sent me.

Thanx Scott.

scott@pyrtech (Scott Hazen Mueller) (03/25/88)

<>
<
<Scott was our RTOC contact concerning the problem I posted earlier. Indeed,
<the problems we were having were kernel related directory reading problems
<which were fixed when I applied the PTF's that Scott sent me.
<
<Thanx Scott.

Just to clear up any confusion...there is, at minimum, an upstairs in RTOC
Scott and a downstairs in R&D Scott :-)  The latter suggested PTFs and I
confirmed that this was indeed the case and got them out to Dave.

<              \  pyramid \                          Dave Bloom
<ihnp4!packard  >!rutgers  >!andromeda!dave          Office: (201) 648-5083
<      allegra /     phri /

            \scott
--
Scott Hazen Mueller, Pyramid RTOC          scott@pyrtech.pyramid.com
415-965-7200x6006                          pyramid!pyrtech!scott

dave@andromeda.rutgers.edu (Dave Bloom) (03/28/88)

In article <17529@pyramid.pyramid.com> Scott Hazen Mueller writes:
<
< Just to clear up any confusion...there is, at minimum, an upstairs in RTOC
< Scott and a downstairs in R&D Scott :-)  The latter suggested PTFs and I
< confirmed that this was indeed the case and got them out to Dave.

Thanx Scott(s).