[comp.sys.pyramid] ditroff on Pyramid

larsa@nada.kth.se (Lars Andersson) (03/22/88)

I am using a Pyramid to do text processing etc. and would like to use
ditroff instead of troff. Apparently there is a version of ditroff in the
att universe on this machine. However, it does not run!

I would like to know if anyone has actually been able to use ditroff on a
pyramid and if anyone has encountered similar problems: fixes?

What is the status of ditroff in the Berkeley-UNIX world? Is it only
available in att versions or is it included in any (commercially available)
packages?

The reason I want to get ditroff is of course to be able to
include postscript pictures in my papers....

Any help would be much appreciated, since none of the sys-op:s here have any
ideas.

Lars Andersson

lars@nada.kth.se  (UUCP)

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (03/24/88)

From article <318@draken.nada.kth.se>, by larsa@nada.kth.se (Lars Andersson):

> I am using a Pyramid to do text processing etc. and would like to use
> ditroff instead of troff. Apparently there is a version of ditroff in the
> att universe on this machine. However, it does not run!

Our ditroff package runs on the Pyramid.  You're right about the stock AT&T
version not working -- we had to make numerous changes due to the
Pyramid's odd architecture.

The package EROFF, includes enhanced (and supported!) versions
of the DWB 2.0 tools diTROFF, NROFF, PIC, EQN, TBL, GRAP, CHECKMM
and two laser drivers: for PostScript and LaserJet printers.  A rough draft
screen previewer is also included.

If you would like more information, contact:

Elan Computer Group, Inc.
410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A
Palo Alto, CA 94306
415-322-2450
FAX: 415-322-1915
--
Ken Greer
Elan Computer Group, Inc.

sylvan@pyrtech (Sylvan Ruud) (03/24/88)

In article <318@draken.nada.kth.se> larsa@nada.kth.se (Lars Andersson) writes:

>I am using a Pyramid to do text processing etc. and would like to use
>ditroff instead of troff. Apparently there is a version of ditroff in the
>att universe on this machine. However, it does not run!

We are using the stock ditroff (att troff) on our Pyramid here and have
made no changes to troff.  I would suggest that you contact the RTOC
and see if they have any suggestions.  You will need to know the serial
number of your machine, as well as what version of the operating system
you are using.  Fyi, we are running OSx 4.0.

Or feel free to contact me at the number in my .sig.  (But you will
still need to know the above information.)  Just how expensive is it
to call from Sweden?

-sylvan

      -m-------  Sylvan Ruud
    ---mmm-----  Pyramid Technology Corporation         (Voice Mail) V
  -----mmmmm---  2460 W. 26th Ave.  Suite 440C         +1 415/965-7211 x1890
-------mmmmmmm-  Denver, Colorado  80211               +1 303/433-2003 (humans)
{allegra,boulder,decwrl,hplabs,munnari,ut-sally,utzoo}!pyramid!sylvan

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (03/24/88)

In article <318@draken.nada.kth.se> larsa@nada.kth.se (Lars Andersson) writes:
>I am using a Pyramid to do text processing etc. and would like to use
>ditroff instead of troff. Apparently there is a version of ditroff in the
>att universe on this machine. However, it does not run!

You have to be a lot more specific. Pyramid does not ship any product named
"ditroff"; we provide DWB 2.0 troff, which is supported by AT&T and is an
updated (and largely compatible) version of the original ditroff program. Is
that what you meant by "ditroff in the att universe"?

Since we use this software to generate all our documentation (with Adobe's
Transcript(TM) or AT&T's Imagen Impress(TM) filter as the backend), the state-
ment "it does not run" needs some elaboration! What OSx release? Which macro
package, if any? What does your input do? What are you using as a backend? Is
it a consistent failure, or only under certain conditions?

Etc....

If it simply dumps core or something equally awful, then you have a corrupted
executable file. Harass your salesman or your FE to get you a copy that works.
For general problems/questions, send mail to pyramid!bugs.

<csg>

bks@unisoft.UUCP (Brian K. Shiratsuki) (03/24/88)

In article <318@draken.nada.kth.se> larsa@nada.kth.se (Lars Andersson) writes:

>I am using a Pyramid to do text processing etc. and would like to use
>ditroff instead of troff. Apparently there is a version of ditroff in the
>att universe on this machine. However, it does not run! ...

on the pyramid, ditroff lives in the att universe, but is called troff.
the program which used to be called troff (output to c/a/t) is called otroff
in this universe.  we didn't have any problems getting ditroff to run, but it
seems to have a few problems.  what happens when you try to run it?

>...The reason I want to get ditroff is of course to be able to
>include postscript pictures in my papers....

we're having problems with this one.  haven't been able to make the psfig
stuff from the network work yet.  which software do you plan to use?

an additional problem we've seen involves included postscript in the ditroff
source file (we use this to print wide tables in landscape mode).  for some
reason, ditroff on the pyramid seems to append backslashes to the ends of
the lines we want to include; these confuse psdit.  the RTOC knows about this
one, but hasn't come up with a fix yet...
--

				brian

hidley%cs@UCSD.EDU (Greg Hidley) (03/27/88)

We run ATT's ditroff that gets distributed with Documenters Workbench 2.0.

I have been through many ditroff's over the years and would run only the
version with DWB 2.0 (which is known here as ditroff 2.0). The ONLY ditroff
you can get seperately from ATT or UCB is based on ditroff 1.0 and is a
much less polished and efficient version.

We have essentially merged some of the UCB enhancements (gremlin and ideal
support for example) and made a few minor bug fixes and added the tuned
versions of the -ms macro package. We are very happy with it.

greg

bigd@unisoft.UUCP (Don Tirsell) (03/29/88)

In article <294@elan.UUCP> kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) writes:
>From article <318@draken.nada.kth.se>, by larsa@nada.kth.se (Lars Andersson):
>>
>> I am using a Pyramid to do text processing etc. and would like to use
>> ditroff instead of troff. Apparently there is a version of ditroff in the
>> att universe on this machine. However, it does not run!

After many attempts, we have installed transcript version 2.0 on
our pyramid.  The trick to the equation was that the version on the
att side is actually ditroff, but called by another name.  We run it on
the BSD side by calling it att troff.

We then had to copy all of the tmac files, devpsc files etc into the
BSD universe so that the att side could find them on the bsd side.

We also found out that version 2.0 has some bugs in pscomm that drop
jobs if they are ganged up on one printer.

Transcript 2.1 just came out, so we are attempting to clean up this
installation with the new software.

Don Tirsell
ucbvax!unisoft!bigd
415-420-6410

Transcript is a trademark of Adobe

~

zap@nada.kth.se (Svante Lindahl) (04/01/88)

Andersson)  csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) wrote in
<17471@pyramid.pyramid.com>:

[ About troff in the att universe on a Pyramid running OSx 4.0 :]
>If it simply dumps core or something equally awful, then you have a corrupted
>executable file. Harass your salesman or your FE to get you a copy that works.
>For general problems/questions, send mail to pyramid!bugs.

Turned out that the /usr/.attbin/troff that was installed from a PTF
was bad, it terminated with a bus error when run.  Reverting back to
the 4.0 distribution fixed that.

Carl also wrote:
>Since we use this software to generate all our documentation (with Adobe's
>Transcript(TM) or AT&T's Imagen Impress(TM) filter as the backend),
>ment "it does not run" needs some elaboration! What OSx release? Which macro
>package, if any? What does your input do? What are you using as a backend? Is
>it a consistent failure, or only under certain conditions?

Lars wants to use Transcript from Adobe as backend, so he tells me
(the sysadmin) to install the required font descriptions in
/usr/lib/font/devpsc and that there is a makefile distributed with
Transcript that will do it for me.  Well not quite, it requires a
makedev program that I have no idea where to get. Can anyone help me
with this?

This may no longer be appropriate for comp.sys.pyramid and I don't
read comp.text, so please reply by mail.

Svante Lindahl
New: zap@nada.kth.se   Old: uunet!nada.kth.se!zap   Bitnet: zap@sestak