[comp.sys.pyramid] Changing the Enet addr of a TPE enet controller

jim@owlmnt.UUCP (Jim McCool) (08/23/88)

I'm working on a driver to talk to DEC equipment over ethernet and I need to
be able to change the enet controller's address.  There is an ioctl,
SIOCSENADDR, which is supposed to do this.  It works just fine for an IOC
based controller but when the same call is made for an IOP controller things
go straight down the toilet.  The system will xmit packets with a strange
source address but refuses to receive ANY packets.

I called RTOC and they said "We don't talk about DEC around here".  They
refused to admit to any problem.

Does anyone in netland have any experience with/ideas about this situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--

Jim McCool
Owl Mountain Inc.

sas@pyrps5 (Scott Schoenthal) (08/27/88)

In article <255@owlmnt.UUCP> jim@owlmnt.UUCP (Jim McCool) writes:
>I'm working on a driver to talk to DEC equipment over ethernet and I need to
>be able to change the enet controller's address.  There is an ioctl,
>SIOCSENADDR, which is supposed to do this.  It works just fine for an IOC
>based controller but when the same call is made for an IOP controller things
>go straight down the toilet.

This problem has been tracked down and a PTF fix should be available
"very soon". As you suspected, there was a botch in the IOP/TPE driver in
the SIOCSENADDR ioctl code.

>I called RTOC and they said "We don't talk about DEC around here".  They
>refused to admit to any problem.

From asking around, I think that this was due to a miscommunication or
misunderstanding of the problem between you and RTOC.

BTW:  Who is this "DEC" company you keep referring to?  :-)

sas
----
Scott Schoenthal   			sas@pyrps5.pyramid.com
Pyramid Technology Corp.		{sun,hplabs,decwrl}!pyramid!sas

ben@bosco.UUCP (ben ullrich) (08/31/88)

In article <255@owlmnt.UUCP> jim@owlmnt.UUCP (Jim McCool) writes:
>I'm working on a driver to talk to DEC equipment over ethernet and I need to
>be able to change the enet controller's address.  There is an ioctl,
>SIOCSENADDR, which is supposed to do this.  It works just fine for an IOC
>based controller but when the same call is made for an IOP controller things
>go straight down the toilet.  The system will xmit packets with a strange
>source address but refuses to receive ANY packets.
>
>Does anyone in netland have any experience with/ideas about this situation?

why not add the ethernet address to the ifconfig in /etc/rc.local ? there
are several lines calling ifconfig in there, and ifconfig accepts new ethernet
addresses to change to. if the underlying ioctl call is bad, though, this may
not help, but it's worth a try.

i installed sunlink dni (decnet software) on our suns and needed to change
the ethernet address to correspond to dec's configurations. this worked fine.

...ben
--					everything i say re: sybase is a lie.
ben ullrich						sybase, inc.
database administrator					6475 christie avenue
mis department						emeryville, ca  94608
{pyramid,pacbell,sun,mtxinu,capmkt}!sybase!ben		415 - 596 - 3654