[comp.sys.pyramid] Managing UUCP and Usenet

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (09/02/88)

In article <1176@bellboy.UUCP> hack@bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) writes:
>BTW, since you are world famous (I just saw your name in the nutshell
>book "Managing UUCP and Usenet")....

Actually, a friend bought a copy for her own use and asked me to peruse it. I
hadn't previously, since all the other books I'd seen on UUCP and Usenet were
so poorly done. I was surprised to find this one both lucid and informative.
But there were many small errors that I couldn't let go by, so I wrote them
all up and sent 'em to Tim O'Reilly. Coincidentally, Rick Adams also supplied
his corrections at the same time. Tim was delighted with the corrections, and
folded them into to March '88 edition. Rick and I both were added to the "Ack-
nowledgments" section, and Tim also sent me a half-dozen copies of the book
(which I passed around in RTOC); very adaquate compensation for the relatively
small amount of work involved.

I really am pleased with _M_a_n_a_g_i_n_g_ _U_U_C_P_ _a_n_d_ _U_s_e_n_e_t (particularly for sites that
have several different vendor's machines to manage), and Rick has been recom-
mending it to all UUNet customers.

>...I asked about you. They said, "Oh, Carl....He's the guy in sandals that
>installs fish tanks isn't he?".  :-)

Fish yes, sandals no. (Curious. I don't even own any sandals, unless you count
the rubber thongs I only wear to the shower. Most people notice the long hair
and the ski-jump nose. :-))

<csg>

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (09/03/88)

> I really am pleased with _M_a_n_a_g_i_n_g_ _U_U_C_P_ _a_n_d_ _U_s_e_n_e_t (particularly for sites that
> have several different vendor's machines to manage), and Rick has been recom-
> mending it to all UUNet customers.

Actually, we've had such success with it, that we automatically send a
copy to all new uunet subscribers. The number of "I cant get uucp to work"
phone calls have fallen off to virtually none since we started doing it.

--rick

jim@fsc2086.UUCP (Jim O'Connor) (09/03/88)

In article <44406@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:

> Actually, we've had such success with it, that we automatically send a
> copy to all new uunet subscribers. The number of "I cant get uucp to work"
> phone calls have fallen off to virtually none since we started doing it.
>
> --rick

I've just finished installing the net news software and connecting with uunet
and I don't think I would've survived without it.  It is written so that
you don't already have to be a UUCP or net guru to understand it.
O'Reilly and Associates did a really good job on this Nutshell Handbook.

--jim