[comp.sys.pyramid] att mailx under osx4.4

era@NIWOT.UCAR.EDU (02/10/89)

Are there any att universe experts out there who can give me
advice on a (hopefully) small problem with att "mailx"?

We recently upgraded our pyramid from 3.1 to 4.4.  Users who run
in the att universe found that "mailx" stopped working.  Since
most of our users run in ucb and most of our mail is ucb-based,
I took the advice of the mailx man page and did the following:

o In /usr/.attlib/mailx/mailx.rc, I put in the line
  "set sendmail=/usr/.ucblib/sendmail" so mailx would use sendmail.
o In /usr/.attlib, I created a symbolic link
  sendmail.cf -> /usr/.ucblib/sendmail.cf.

After making these changes, attempts to mail to a local user
result in the message going into a black hole; nothing ever appears
in /usr/spool/mail, mailx prints no error messages, and nothing is
returned to the mailing user or to postmaster/root.  Executing
"mailx -d" doesn't result in any debugging output which appears to
be of interest.

Thanks in advance for your advice -
__________
Ed Arnold * NCAR (Nat'l Center for Atmospheric Research) * Mesa Lab
PO Box 3000 * Boulder, CO  80307-3000 * 303-497-1253
era@ncar.ucar.edu [128.117.64.4] * {ames,gatech,noao,...}!ncar!era

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (02/10/89)

In article <8902091737.AA00180@era.ucar.edu.UCAR.EDU> era@NIWOT.UCAR.EDU writes:
>I took the advice of the mailx man page and did the following:
>
>o In /usr/.attlib/mailx/mailx.rc, I put in the line
>  "set sendmail=/usr/.ucblib/sendmail" so mailx would use sendmail.
>o In /usr/.attlib, I created a symbolic link
>  sendmail.cf -> /usr/.ucblib/sendmail.cf.

Aaarrrrgggghh. This doesn't work; never has. I've seen a lot of sites do this,
and always wondered why. It never occurred to me that some idiot put it in the
man page.

The correct technique is in the OSx System Administrator's Guide, to whit:

- In /usr/.attlib/mailx/mailx.rc, put the line:

	set sendmail=/usr/lib/sendmail

- Create a shell script in /usr/.attlib/sendmail, that contains the following:

	exec /bin/ucb /usr/lib/sendmail $@

OSx 4.4 was *supposed* to ship this way; I checked the release and mailx.rc
is correct, but /usr/.attlib/sendmail is missing. I will make sure this is set
up correctly in the OSx 5.0 release. (I'll also fix that broken man page.)

<csg>

hack@merkin.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (02/11/89)

In article <58544@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:

>OSx 4.4 was *supposed* to ship this way; I checked the release and mailx.rc
>is correct, but /usr/.attlib/sendmail is missing. I will make sure this is set
>up correctly in the OSx 5.0 release. (I'll also fix that broken man page.)
><csg>

Probably should also split /usr/spool/uucp into 2 universes. The
universes historically battle with each other in this area, especially
at night. att is normally the winner.
--
Greg

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (02/21/89)

In article <613@merkin.UUCP> hack@merkin.cactus.org (Greg Hackney) writes:
>Probably should also split /usr/spool/uucp into 2 universes.

Done, for OSx 5.0. Anything earlier, do it yourself. It's easy enough; mv the
existing /usr/spool/uucp to your choice of .attuucp or .ucbuucp, then create
the other directory, and link them together with a conditional symbolic link.
Watch out for /usr/spool/.ucbuucp/LCK; it's a symbolic link /usr/spool/locks.

<csg>