[comp.sys.pyramid] New Pyramid?!?

zap@front.se (Svante Lindahl) (03/10/89)

A Swedish computer weekly had a note a about a new 140 MIPS Pyrmaid
machine today.  Sounds impressive! But there were very few facts (as
always in these publications...), so maybe somebody here can provide
some more details?

The article also said the that machine was running OSx 5.0.  Is 5.0
out for the older machines as well?

Svante.Lindahl@front.se		pre-MX: Svante.Lindahl%front.se@uunet.uu.net
Front; Linneg 5; S-11447 Stockholm; Sweden		 Fax: +46-8-665-3402

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (03/12/89)

In article <376@front.se> zap@front.se (Svante Lindahl) writes:
>A Swedish computer weekly had a note a about a new 140 MIPS Pyrmaid
>machine today.

My apologies for not informing the faithful. Pyramid Technology has announced
the "Corporate MIServer," a high-end multiprocessing system that employs four
to twelve 12 MIPS CPUs. The CPU is Pyramid's third-generation commercial-RISC
design, implemented in 2-micron CMOS, and is completely binary compatible with
the 90x and Series 9000 CPUs. The MIServer is really an evolutionary product,
rather than revolutionary; it provides a compatible upward migration path for
folks who are outgrowing their 9845's.

That much you could figure out from the trade press. I am writing a longer,
more technical article, to be posted later. In the meantime, those who have
specific questions can e-mail them to me.

>The article also said the that machine was running OSx 5.0.  Is 5.0
>out for the older machines as well?

Not yet, but it will be. We're in second round beta test right now; FCS is
supposed to be in June or thereabouts.

<csg>