[comp.sys.pyramid] Questions about Pyramid/Sequent

caanders@sactoh0.UUCP (Chris A. Anderson) (03/22/89)

We're a commercial health care claims management shop for
large hospitals and clinics.  We're currently looking at
several possible hardware choices for replacing our aging
Plexus (Sys V.2) computers.  Two of the bids we have received
are:
	Pyramid 9815  -or-  Sequent S81 (4 processors)

Both are configured with 32 Mb main memory, 8 Gb disk
storage (yes, that's 8 Gigabytes), with terminal servers
hooked via ethernet to the machine. We are committed for
the nonce to System V.

We plan on having 80-100 users, mostly running in-house
database applications (file inquiry/update type stuff).
Of those, approx. 20 are development people.

The questions we have are:

	1. Will having 80-100 users concurrently on the
	   Pyramid degrade terminal response time signif-
	   icantly?  We have been told that the 9815
	   doesn't have the horsepower to service this
	   number of users on ethernet.

	2. Several people have said that the Sequent
	   will not handle 8 Gb of storage with anything
	   less than 8 CPU's installed. Is there any
	   truth to this? Why?

These questions are sparked by statements by the different
vendors in question, and by responses to previous postings
I've made to the net asking for information on the two machines.

Anybody have any experiences that they care to share?  By E-mail,
please.  If there's any interest, I'll post (or e-mail) a summary.
Thanks in advance!!!

Chris
--
| Chris Anderson        email : pacbell!sactoh0!utgard!chris           |
| QMA, Inc.                or : ...!{csuchico,csusac}!fenris           |

dewey@sequoia.UUCP (Dewey Henize) (03/23/89)

In article <764@sactoh0.UUCP> caanders@sactoh0.UUCP (Chris A. Anderson) writes:
[stuff I can't answer deleted]
>Both are configured with 32 Mb main memory, 8 Gb disk
>storage (yes, that's 8 Gigabytes), with terminal servers
>hooked via ethernet to the machine. We are committed for
>the nonce to System V.
[stuff I can't answer deleted]
>	2. Several people have said that the Sequent
>	   will not handle 8 Gb of storage with anything
>	   less than 8 CPU's installed. Is there any
>	   truth to this? Why?
>
>These questions are sparked by statements by the different
>vendors in question, and by responses to previous postings
>I've made to the net asking for information on the two machines.
>
>Chris
>--
>| Chris Anderson        email : pacbell!sactoh0!utgard!chris           |
>| QMA, Inc.                or : ...!{csuchico,csusac}!fenris           |
>|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
>| Of *course* I speak for my employer, would he have it any other way? |

I don't know about needing 8 CPUs - we run just about the same amount of
disk with 6 and so far disk is simply not an issue (This is on a Sequent
S81).  It wouldn't seem that it is all that likely all your users will
be using wildly different disk areas at the same times, but if they were
then that would possibly make a difference.

On the other hand, we run 48Mb of memory.  Since a lot of memory is used
in caching, I imagine that makes a large impact.

I will say, though, that on occasion I've been able to tell that having
the extra processors seems to make a large difference - several jobs have
been running using very high proportions of a couple of the CPUs and the
fact we had other CPUs available pretty well 'hid' this from the rest
of the users.

For what its worth...

Dewey Henize

| There is nothing in the above message that can't be explained by sunspots.  |
|                   execu!dewey             Dewey Henize                      |
|         Can you say standard disclaimer?  I knew you could.  Somehow...     |

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (03/26/89)

In article <404@sequoia.UUCP> dewey@sequoia.UUCP (Dewey Henize) writes:
>I will say, though, that on occasion I've been able to tell that having
>the extra processors seems to make a large difference - several jobs have
>been running using very high proportions of a couple of the CPUs and the
>fact we had other CPUs available pretty well 'hid' this from the rest
>of the users.

This is a classic architectural question that the salescritters will belabor
endlessly. Which is "better": a machine with a larger number of smaller CPUs
(Sequent, Encore Multimax) or a smaller number of larger CPUs (Arix, Alliant,
Celerity, CCI, DEC, Elxsi, Encore's new systems, Pyramid)?

The idea of a large number of smaller processors was really radical at the
time; and Sequent earned a lot of well deserved press for it. I'd long felt
the old Balance was an ideal machine for introductory programming courses,
simply because it was more difficult for one user to screw the others by
soaking up all the CPU. Unfortunately, the same argument can also be used
to buying a flock of IBM PCs. Recently Sequent has been going after OLTP, a
market which I thought they should have been chasing long ago; here, the
multiple small CPUs make more sense.

The other side is that there simply are applications where you need to have
that large CPU. Many problems simply can't be broken down and spread across
multiple processors. And when users are running really parallel stuff, you
can as solidly kill a multi-CPU machine well as its single CPU breatheren.
Then there's the night-owls like me, who expect the machine to be damn fast
when there's no one else on it.

Anybody want to voice their thoughts on this one? I make the silly things,
so I don't know what most people are interested it.

<csg>

karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (03/26/89)

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
   Anybody want to voice their thoughts on this one? I make the silly things,
   so I don't know what most people are interested it.

For myself, trying to maintain the facilities for a large flock of
academic users, I am inclined to have a small number of heavy-duty
CPUs, so that when it's getting anything done, it's getting a great
deal done.  And the tendency for one process to take over the system
is not what I'd call severe.  It happens, but it's quite rare.

The faculty, on the other hand, seem to have more of an interest in
the sorts of problems that can't be addressed without a dozen or so
processors.  From my perspective, I find some of their applications
somewhat peculiar, hence not especially practical, but the practical
has to be developed out of the theoretical and impractical anyway.

So we compromise :-).  We use a dual-processor Pyramid (and a couple
of other Pyrs besides) as the department's central services machines,
getting the grunt, practical work done of pushing mail and news around
and doing heavyweight computationally-intensive things (e.g., network
simulations that run for 3 days), and generally being a connectivity
hub for these users; and we also have a MultiMax and a BBN Bfly which
are used exclusively by the faculty and grad students for their
theoretical, possibly `impractical' experimentation.

--Karl

scarter@caip.rutgers.edu (Stephen M. Carter) (03/27/89)

In article <KARL.89Mar25181226@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu> karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) writes:
>csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>   Anybody want to voice their thoughts on this one? I make the silly things,
>   so I don't know what most people are interested it.

At Rutgers, we have about 5 Pyramids of various vintage.  For the research
department I am with, we have a 9810 with a 90x running standby duty.  The
9810 is used mostly for publications/email and your various small jobs while
parallel machines, image grinders, or Suns do the specific work.

For what we use it for, we could not have made a better choice.  It makes a
great general purpose Unix box.  We average about 20 users at a time, and
on a good day, I haven't seen vmstat show more than 60% cpu usage.

Hmm, if I had to pick two items off the top, I'd say that the Pyramid gets
gold stars in:
	- I/O.  With the IOP/TPE hardware, io is good.  I am sure there are
better cpu bang/buck machines out there (ie Sun-4), but if you need io power,
Pyramid does well.
	-Hardware.  Our 9810 just doesn't die (knock on simulated woodgrain).
In the past 14 months, our two service calls were for the Wyse console.

On the down side:
I have seen nowhere in any Pyramid documentation any pointers to hardware
documentation, configuration manuals, etc.   The nice thing about Sun is
that they are very open about hardware, and include basic configuration
manuals, hardware documentation and the like with every product.  My
impression  on Pyramid is that they rather hide this information from
"us poor users".   Am I right, or am I missing the order code for the
service manuals someplace?   There must be a better way than reverse
enginering a dip switch to compute the address of a board.

Now, for the Pyr folks, two questions:

1) We have a late model Fujitsu MC2444AC tape drive on a 9810 TPE.  Tar,dump,
and the rest all work fine.  However, it will not boot a mini-root from
tape.  I've tried the release tapes from 3.something, 4.0, and 4.4.  Does
the drive (third-party, self installed) need special setup settings?  It
spins the tape of load point and the bar says <booted>.  Hit the Z, and
the tape spins for a few more seconds, and then the machine checkstops.

2) Like I said above, about the only time our 9810 gets rebooted is after
a power failure.  Otherwise, it stays up for 60-70 days at a time.  Should
a machine be rebooted after NN days to prevent software rot?

Stephen Carter
Rutgers-CAIP Center
PO Box 1390, Piscataway NJ 08855-1390
scarter@caip.rutgers.edu

roc@sequent.UUCP (Ron Christian) (03/28/89)

In article <63984@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>The other side is that there simply are applications where you need to have
>that large CPU. Many problems simply can't be broken down and spread across
>multiple processors. And when users are running really parallel stuff, you
>can as solidly kill a multi-CPU machine well as its single CPU breatheren.

>Then there's the night-owls like me, who expect the machine to be damn fast
>when there's no one else on it.

Yeah, me too.  For me, that's a holdover from the old Vax days, where
you could get decent response only if you waited until 9:00 P.M. or so
to do your stuff.

On the Sequent machine, I got used to "thinking parallel", spawning
background processes with reckless abandon.  But occasionally, I
needed a single process to finish quickly, and you're right, the
machine just isn't "damn fast" when only one task is addressed.

And yet...  The Vax 11/750 (later 780) on which I cut my Unix teeth
is noticeably slower than a single i386 with reasonable support.
A single process on the Symmetry *does* go faster than what I used
to see late at night on the old machines.  It's just that I now
expect more, I guess.

Perhaps the late, lamented Cydrome had the right idea after all:  A
bunch of micros in parallel, and a very fast vector processor that
they could dip into as necessary.  I guess we'll never know, now.
:-(

The largest advantage, in my opinion, of having a lot of smaller
processors, as opposed to a few large ones, is consistency of
response.  Regular users (as opposed to us "power users") expect
a task to always take the same amount of time and are thrown off
by the variation in response one sees on your typical uniprocessor
machine.  The most consistent response (assuming wide variation in
number of tasks) is with a large number of processors.  The best
bang for the buck whilst meeting the first objective is to provide
a large number of small processors.  Then, if a processor isn't being
used much, you haven't wasted much of your investment.

But your point is legitimate.  Sometimes a task just can't be parallelized.
And sometimes a 386 just isn't fast enough.

[It feels good to be participating in comp.sys.sequent again.  I was
out for awhile due to interviewing, and finishing up at Fujitsu, and
moving to Beaverton, but things have quieted down now.]

				Ron

bob@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (03/31/89)

We have 3 pyramids purchased years ago. one of them had to get swapped out
it failed so miserably. we average 1 or 2 board failures every quarter.
we have a source license with them and now we learn as of the current
version of the operating system they will no longer provide source code
(unless you 'subscribe' at the everyday low price of $2000/month) at the
$1500 snapshot price. we do self-maintenance (and this is the only reason
we still have these machines). the local sales office is absolutely the
worst thing i've ever had to deal with. we subscribe to monthly PTF service
(it's the ONLY reasonable and reliable way to get anything out of the
support center) and refer to it as the "operating system of the month club".

on the other hand we've had one sequent for nearly 5 years without any
board failures (until an extremely ugly power glitch last friday --
Good Friday -- hmmm). it has recently been upgraded to a b21 and i have seen
126 concurrent users all editting and compiling with good response.

i always use the analogy of a grocery store checkout lane. if you have a
store-full of people trying to get out and there is only one checker you
wait and wait. if there are four checkers, everyone, even the ones with
full carts, get serviced quicker.

we just bought a s81 for database users. if your choice comes down to more
processors or more memory, go for the memory. in the long run you'll be
ahead of the game. although since the system is easy scalable, you can
add anything later simply by sliding in another board. (this really is
the case as we added more processors and more memory when we upgrade to
the B21)

the support folks at sequent are reasonable people who treat any problem you
encounter as THEIR problem and resolution is quick.

"from the rumor mill" --- pyramid announced a big mis-server that now won't
see light of day for another year or so. it is also rumored that at&t is going
to buy pyramid. pyramid stock dropped more than 5 points recently.

cquenel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (48 more school days) (03/31/89)

The point I always have to make whenever this comes up:

Suppose for the sake of argument you have a single processor
machine on one side and an 8 processor machine on the other side
with each processor exactly equal to 1/8 of the larger CPU.
Suppose the prices and total performances are equal.

My argument is that the mono-processor machine is more flexible
because any process can chew on the while machine whenever/however
it wants.

I also claim that when the number of users is reasonably greater
than 8, then it will be difficult to tell which machine you're
using.  I have equated number of users with number of active
processes here.  It is possible for one user to have 5 active
processes (by "thinking parallel" :-) ) and it is possible to have 8
users and have only 5 active processes.

I seem to hear some advocates of multi-processors using the old
"gee it's neat when I've got all those processors to myself"
argument, but I don't think this is a valid argument for a
good general-purpose machine.

If you are considering a working environment where there
are more processors than your average number of active
processes most of the time, then you would actually be better off
with a mono-processor.  Think about it.

I have an 8 processor machine and I've spawned 7 processes.
I'm only using 7/8 of the machine.  If I were on the mono-processor,
I'd be using 8/8 of the machine, and (!) all my tasks would
finish sooner.  Even though I was sharing.

It all boils down to this:

	The burden of proof is on the multi-processing
	manufacturer.  They have to prove they can offer
	enough MORE bang/buck to counter act any difficulties
	introduced by multiprocessing.

In a heavy multi-user environment where the number of active
processes is almost always greater than the number of processors,
and you don't have any single process taking up the majority
of the machine's resources, then a multi-CPU machine will
work very much the same way as a mono-processor machine.

If you have a heavy number crunching grind-it-out program,
then you will have to "parallelize" it in order to take
advantage of any potential bang/buck advantage in a multi-CPU
system.

Anyway, enough for now.

--chris
"Virtual" means never knowing where your next byte is coming from.
--
@---@  ------------------------------------------------------------------  @---@
\. ./  | Chris Quenelle (The First Lab Rat) cquenel@polyslo.calpoly.edu |  \. ./

rwood@vajra.uucp (Richard Wood) (04/01/89)

Cquenel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (48 more school days) writes:

> Suppose for the sake of argument you have a single processor
> machine on one side and an 8 processor machine on the other side
> with each processor exactly equal to 1/8 of the larger CPU.
> Suppose the prices and total performances are equal.

    If your premises listed above were true, then much of your
    arguement below would be true as well.  The significant error is to
    assume that a single CPU machine and a multiprocessor (with
    equivalent amounts of aggregate power) would have the same price.
    If all other design elements were pretty much the same, the
    multiprocessor should cost less.

    What are the arguments for the multiprocessor costing more?
    Significantly more complex design, with caches, probably a faster
    bus.  On the other hand, the single CPU would have to be built with
    technology that is substantially more complex than the eight.  For
    instance, today's '386 chips can be designed very easily to get 3
    or so MIPS of power (more with a more expensive design).  You can't
    get a '386 running 24 MIPS (eight times faster).  Theoretically,
    you could, if you built it out of ECL or something.  But that
    single CPU would no longer be a chip - it would now be a multichip
    design.  The cost of designing that board will be substantially
    higher than the cost of designing the basic CPU subsystem in the
    multiprocessor.  Even more importantly, the cost of manufacturing
    and servicing it would be very, very much higher.  A final, but
    certainly not insignificant detail, is that the multiprocessor is
    going to get to market *A LOT* faster, due to the simpler overall
    design.

    Admiral Grace Hopper (inventor of Cobol) likens it to a farmer
    that suddenly needs to plow a field twice as big as his ox can
    handle.  The single-CPU paradigm would have him buy an Ox that
    is genetically engineered to be twice as big, and twice as
    powerful.  The multiprocessor paradigm would argue for simply
    getting a second ox.  Any farmer could tell you which would be
    cheaper :-)

    The basic rationale is that it is cheaper to use off the shelf
    technologies as building blocks, instead of designing new
    processors for each and every generation.

> My argument is that the mono-processor machine is more flexible
> because any process can chew on the while machine whenever/however
> it wants.

    No one will argue with you.  A single source of cycles will
    always be able to allocate them with more flexibility.  This
    actually follows directly from queuing theory.

> I also claim that when the number of users is reasonably greater
> than 8, then it will be difficult to tell which machine you're
> using.  I have equated number of users with number of active
> processes here.  It is possible for one user to have 5 active
> processes (by "thinking parallel" :-) ) and it is possible to have 8
> users and have only 5 active processes.

    It actually happens (at least under Unix) even without
    "thinking parallel," although that does dramatically increase
    the flow.  Sit down at a single user workstation sometime and
    do a "ps ax | wc -l".  All the background stuff Unix does can
    take advantage of those "other" CPUs.  (I.e., my workstation
    has 45 processes listed, and I'm hardly doing anything - true,
    most of those will wait hours before seeing action).  A prime
    example is the inherent multiprocessing that is showing up in
    todays computing model.  The window I'm editing in right now
    taps several different processes, including the editor, the
    terminal emulator (wish I had xrn...), the X-Server process,
    some NFS daemons on my local machine, and some on the server
    somewhere else in the building.

> I seem to hear some advocates of multi-processors using the old
> "gee it's neat when I've got all those processors to myself"
> argument, but I don't think this is a valid argument for a
> good general-purpose machine.
>
> If you are considering a working environment where there
> are more processors than your average number of active
> processes most of the time, then you would actually be better off
> with a mono-processor.  Think about it.

    Except, perhaps one should take into account the fact that the
    monprocessor is going to cost dramatically more, as explained
    above.  There is some "clumsiness" about using a multiprocessor
    in a non-parallel processing environment, but the cost payoff
    can be dramatic.  And

> I have an 8 processor machine and I've spawned 7 processes.
> I'm only using 7/8 of the machine.  If I were on the mono-processor,
> I'd be using 8/8 of the machine, and (!) all my tasks would
> finish sooner.  Even though I was sharing.
>
> It all boils down to this:
>
> 	The burden of proof is on the multi-processing
> 	manufacturer.  They have to prove they can offer
> 	enough MORE bang/buck to counter act any difficulties
> 	introduced by multiprocessing.

    The  burden of proof should *always* be on the person trying to
    sell, regardless of what they're selling.  There are tradeoffs
    in every decision.  For this kind of purchasing problem, the
    questions are two:

	Do I have an environment that makes full use of multiple
	processors?  If no...
	Is the presumably decreased cost of the multiprocessor worth
	the loss of flexibility in how I use the machine?

> If you have a heavy number crunching grind-it-out program,
> then you will have to "parallelize" it in order to take
> advantage of any potential bang/buck advantage in a multi-CPU
> system.

There is another way that "heavy number crunching" programs can take
advantage of a multiprocessor:  concurrency.   Run multiple versions of
the same program simultaneously on different data sets.  This assumes
two things:  first, that there are different data sets that need to be
processed;  if you only have the need to run one simulation at any time,
for instance, then this wouldn't be the case.  Second, it assumes that
throughput is a reasonable substitute for response time.  If having ten
jobs done in ten minutes isn't as good as having one job done in one
minute, than the thumper (to use a motorcycling term) is the proper
tool.  [A thumper is a single cylinder engine; the obvious analogy is
left as an exercise for the reader]

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does it need saying that I'm not speaking as an official representative of DEC?
Richard Wood  !  U. S. Worksystems, Palo Alto  !  Digital Equipment Corporation

cook@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Dale C. Cook) (04/03/89)

In article <9903@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> cquenel@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (48 more school days) writes:
>The point I always have to make whenever this comes up:
>
>Suppose for the sake of argument you have a single processor
>machine on one side and an 8 processor machine on the other side
>with each processor exactly equal to 1/8 of the larger CPU.
>Suppose the prices and total performances are equal.

Good analysis, 48 more school days!  However, I think you overlook the time
lost to context switching and scheduling with the single compute engine.
In the Alliant (and I think Convex) boxes, a lot of the work of executing
concurrent DO loops is done in the hardware.  Thus the scheduler only need
incur the overhead of setup once per loop.

Also, as another poster pointed out, the costs of a single hot box (Cray,
NEC, etc) far exceeds N x's the minisuper cost.  That defines the niche
that every parallel minisuper maker has targeted.

On the general purpose multi-processing side, I doubt that the "latency"
and general interactivity (is that a word?) of a single processor being
rapidly rescheduled amongst a large number of users will ever approach
that of a multiheaded machine such as an Encore or Sequent.  That's
mostly subjective, but I think it's real.
	- Dale (N1US)
INTERNET:	cook@pinocchio.encore.com
UUCP:		{buita || talcott || husc6 || bellcore} !encore!pinocchio!cook

jlm@motcsd.UUCP (Jeffrey L. Morris) (04/06/89)

In article <68000001@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> bob@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>We have 3 pyramids purchased years ago. one of them had to get swapped out
>it failed so miserably. we average 1 or 2 board failures every quarter.
>(deleted)
>on the other hand we've had one sequent for nearly 5 years without any
>(deleted)
>we just bought a s81 for database users. if your choice comes down to more
>(deleted)
>the support folks at sequent are reasonable people who treat any problem you
>encounter as THEIR problem and resolution is quick.
>
>"from the rumor mill" --- pyramid announced a big mis-server that now won't
>see light of day for another year or so. it is also rumored that at&t is going
>to buy pyramid. pyramid stock dropped more than 5 points recently.

My mistake, I thought this was the pyramid newsgroup, not
comp.sequent.job.wanted !!!

8^)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.pyramid
Expires: