[comp.sys.pyramid] directory inclusion in prompt

yadav@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ashish Yadav) (05/14/89)

Since folks have been talking about tcsh, I would like to know how I could
get the current directory to be 'echo'ed in my prompt. We have tcsh running
on a 9810x, just incase !!

thanks.

    ____   ____   ____   _____  _____         Ashish Yadav ( President )
   /      /   /  /        /      /            ***************************
  /      /   /  /___     /      /             yadav@andromeda.rutgers.edu
 /      /   /      /    /      /             ayadav@topaz.rutgers.edu
/____  /___/  ____/  __/__  __/__            ayadav@draco.BITNET

steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) (05/15/89)

In article <May.14.12.32.41.1989.26428@galaxy.rutgers.edu> yadav@andromeda.rutgers.edu.UUCP (Ashish Yadav) writes:
>Since folks have been talking about tcsh, I would like to know how I could
>get the current directory to be 'echo'ed in my prompt. We have tcsh running
>on a 9810x, just incase !!

	You can set your prompt, but it won't update when you move around.
To get this, you need to change 'cd' (and popd and pushd) to reevaluate your
$prompt variable everytime you move somewhere.  Use this line to do that:

	alias cd 'chdir \!* ; set prompt = "\! $cwd -> " ; ls -FC'

This one also does an ls after cd'ing there.

	Modify to suit.

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| Cal Poly State Univ.       |------------------------------------------------|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |

yadav@andromeda.rutgers.edu.rutgers.edu (Ashish Yadav) (05/15/89)

In article <11427@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) writes:
>	You can set your prompt, but it won't update when you move around.
>To get this, you need to change 'cd' (and popd and pushd) to reevaluate your
>$prompt variable everytime you move somewhere.  Use this line to do that:
>
>	alias cd 'chdir \!* ; set prompt = "\! $cwd -> " ; ls -FC'

Works Great !!!!!!
thanx a lot ...
				Ash.

    ____   ____   ____   _____  _____         Ashish Yadav ( President )
   /      /   /  /        /      /            ***************************

paul@morganucodon.cis.ohio-state.edu (Paul Placeway) (05/16/89)

In article <11427@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) writes:

	   alias cd 'chdir \!* ; set prompt = "\! $cwd -> " ; ls -FC'

If you are running the tcsh from Ohio State, it's much easier than
that.  Just set your prompt to include either %. (for the last part of
the CWD), or %/ (for all of the CWD).  See the man page for details.

I welcome suggestions and (especially) code for improvements....

		-- Paul Placeway
		   Ohio State

sandra@pyrtech (Sandra Macika) (05/17/89)

In article <May.14.12.32.41.1989.26428@galaxy.rutgers.edu> yadav@andromeda.rutgers.edu.UUCP (Ashish Yadav) writes:
>Since folks have been talking about tcsh, I would like to know how I could
>get the current directory to be 'echo'ed in my prompt. We have tcsh running
>on a 9810x, just incase !!
>
>thanks.

I have the following 4 lines in my .cshrc file. This puts the directory,
history, and universe in my prompt. It also gives a directory listing
whenever you change directories. "c" is used instead of "cd" to change
directories. The directory is not shown in the prompt until the "c" command
is executed. I execute "c" in my .login file.

a u universe
set prompt =\
a c 'cd \!*; set prompt="`u`  $cwd ( \! )--> " ; echo ; ls -F; echo ;'

Hope this helps!!!!`
Sandra