[comp.sys.pyramid] NNTP on Pyramid?

steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Steve DeJarnett) (07/20/89)

In article <32@ark1.nswc.navy.mil> dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) writes:
>Has anyone managed to get nntp to run under either 4.0 or 4.4c?

	Yes.  It was actually amazingly painless to install.  We (polyslo) are
running it, as is Ohio State.  Both (I believe) 98x's, OSx 4.4c.

>I'm able to compile nntpd cleanly, but nothing happens when I telnet
>to port 119.  Yes, I restarted inetd.

	Did you put entries in both /etc/services and /etc/servers??  Is the
path to the executable correct in /etc/servers??

	Also, what version of NNTP are you running??  The latest version is
1.5, with 5 patches to that (making it 1.5.5).

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| Cal Poly State Univ.       |------------------------------------------------|
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |

karl@cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (07/20/89)

I run NNTP on tut.cis.ohio-state.edu, under OSx4.0.  Runs fine, if
you've got NNTP 1.5.  Versions previous to 1.5 made poor assumptions
about what gets returned by gethostby*() routines, as I recall.

When you telnet to the NNTP port, you should get a greeting from the
server such as:
   200 tut.cis.ohio-state.edu NNTP server version 1.5 (26 Feb 88)...
If you get that, you're running fine.  If not...well, try
   netstat -a -n | fgrep .119
and see what happens.  You should get back...
   tcp        0      0  *.119                  *.*                    LISTEN
...if inetd is doing its job right.  Since manual starting gives "addr
in use" diagnostics, I strongly suspect that inetd is fine.
--
I think that everyone's brains get scrambled one way or another.
					--Killashandra Ree

dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) (08/16/89)

Has anyone managed to get nntp to run under either 4.0 or 4.4c?

I'm able to compile nntpd cleanly, but nothing happens when I telnet
to port 119.  Yes, I restarted inetd.

I also tried running it standalone, but that caused it to die with:

Jul 19 13:22:19 k30b:   5013 nntpd: get_socket: bind: Address already in use

Help, please.

warren@ginosko.samsung.com (Warren Lavallee) (09/05/89)

dsill@relay.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Sill) writes:
>Has anyone managed to get nntp to run under either 4.0 or 4.4c?

	I've been running nntp on 4.4c-890501 Pyramid-9810 for the past
several months.  I don't think that I did anything terribly tricky.  I added
the following to /etc/servers:
nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /etc/nntpd              nntpd

	I made a tar of the source tree after I did a 'make server' in it.  If
worse comes to worse, then you can ftp it and use the binaries, or look at the
conf.h I used to compile it...

	It's in

	ginosko.samsung.com:~ftp/news/nntp1.5.6.pyr.tar.Z

-rw-rw-r--  1 warren   wheel      504911 Sep  5 08:56 nntp1.5.6.pyr.tar.Z
--
Samsung Software America.       Warren J. Lavallee        Systems Administator.
UUCP:  warreng@ginosko.UUCP               NEARnet/Internet:  warren@samsung.com