[comp.sys.pyramid] Size of root partition.

linda@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Linda Birmingham) (10/02/89)

Hi,

Does anyone have problems with the size of their root partition in
OSx4.4 ?

I notice that /etc is appx. 2MB bigger than in 4.0 which will take
our standard root stuff up to about 17MB. This doesn't leave much room
for manouvre.

Has anyone any comments on this ?

Linda.

--
Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, England.
janet: linda@uk.ac.brunel.cc |  :-)

hoyt@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Sir Hoyt) (10/04/89)

In article <875@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> linda@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Linda Birmingham) writes:
>Hi,
>Does anyone have problems with the size of their root partition in
>OSx4.4 ?
>[...]
>Has anyone any comments on this ?

	It runs VERY full.

	% df /

Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/iop/pdisk00a      19102   16260     930    95%    /

	We have to delete /etc/utmp every week or we run out of
	space on root.  Root here runs between having 1Meg and
	400K free.

--
John H. Pochmara				 A career is great,
UUCP: {sdsu,voder,trwind}!polyslo!hoyt		 But you can't run your

karl@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (10/04/89)

linda@cc.brunel.ac.uk writes:
   I notice that /etc is appx. 2MB bigger than in 4.0 which will take
   our standard root stuff up to about 17MB. This doesn't leave much room
   for manouvre.

Long ago, I began the (sometimes frowned-upon) habit of symlinking
/tmp into a "real" filesystem.  /tmp is needed so seldom during
single-user operations that I simply abandoned that tendency.

I also avoid keeping anything else of substantial size there.  My
nameserver zone stuff (close to 500Kbytes) looks like it's in
/etc/named.d, but that too is a symlink elsewhere.  (I keep 4 Pyramids
running essentially identical nameserver configurations, and having
them all believe in a generic /etc/named.d is very useful to me.)

My vestigial hosts file contains nothing but OSU hosts, and I don't
use mkhosts - that step is commented out of /etc/rc.local.

I regularly clean out things like Emacs backup files, and the
/etc/.*wtmp files aren't given much slack, either: I copy /dev/null
to them periodically.

You'll find that /usr is something of a challenge, too.  Symlinks to
the rescue again: /usr/.*man, /usr/PTF, /usr/sys, and /usr/crash are
all hiding on much larger filesystems with space to spare.  And make
sure you annihilate the SysV accounting stuff that shows up every day
at 4am.

--Karl

treed@fsg.UUCP (Timothy Reed) (10/04/89)

Right, it doesn't leave much room, but you don't really need that much room,
since your /tmp should be on a separate partition, and if you value
your root partition at all, there should be no other writing going on
there in the a partition anyway.

Pyramid's got so many partitions to play with (both real and virtual) that
one should not be using root for more than one really needs.

Timothy Reed
Fusion Systems Group Ltd.
..!uunet!fsg!treed

linda@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Linda Birmingham) (10/10/89)

In article <5665@fsg.UUCP> treed@fsg.UUCP (Timothy Reed) writes:
>Right, it doesn't leave much room, but you don't really need that much room,
I DO need that much room. I 'like' to keep 2 kernels and I don't want to
overwrite utmp and wtmp every week. I intend to move those two files.

>Pyramid's got so many partitions to play with (both real and virtual) that
>one should not be using root for more than one really needs.
Agreed.

Linda.