[comp.sys.pyramid] UCB signals in ATT universe

cas@anar.ctt.bellcore.com (Cris Letourneau) (11/30/89)

We have a couple of programs here that are compiled in and run in the
att universe that are getting a signal 16.  According to the comment
in /usr/.attinclude/sys/signal.h this is a BSD unique signal.
The comment says "urgent condition on IO channel".

I have two questions - what is causing this urgent condition?
		     - how can we get a ucb signal in an att-compiled
		       program running in and att universe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cris
cas@ctt.bellcore.com

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (12/01/89)

In article <18405@bellcore.bellcore.com> cas@ctt.bellcore.com (Cris Letourneau) writes:
>We have a couple of programs here that are compiled in and run in the
>att universe that are getting a signal 16.

As far as I can remember, SIGURG is generated only by the BSD networking code
and by X.25. So you are doing something with one of these. What, I can't tell
from here. Also, this signal is ignored by default, so you must be enabling it
with either signal(2) or sigset(2).

If you absolutely, positively are not using either networking or X.25, then
something silly is happening: a bogus argument to signal(2), a bogus argument
to kill(2), or something like that.

Most of the OSx signals are universal; you can get them in either universe. It
has to be this way, otherwise att programs that invoke BSD networking would
never get any SIGURG signals when they wanted them.

<csg>