[comp.sys.pyramid] Dual Port OS Questions

wlyle@sjuphil.uucp (Wayne Lyle) (01/11/90)

	I will soon be moving on to another company, where I will be in
	charge of two Pyramid 90X systems.  At this time I am trying to
	get a good understanding of the DualPort Operating System.  It
	seems like you get the best of both worlds.  What I would like
	to know is if one side (att or ucb) is more efficient to work
	under?  If one side is the obvious choice, is there a way to
	disable the other universe, maybe making the kernel smaller and
	the /usr partition smaller?

	Thanks in advance,

	Wayne J. Lyle

trudel@revenge.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) (01/12/90)

In article <1990Jan10.234744.336@sjuphil.uucp> wlyle@sjuphil.uucp (Wayne Lyle) writes:

> 	I will soon be moving on to another company, where I will be in
> 	charge of two Pyramid 90X systems.  At this time I am trying to
> 	get a good understanding of the DualPort Operating System.  It
> 	seems like you get the best of both worlds.

Speaking of which, what's the latest information about future OS
versions on Pyramids.  Which Unix will it be?  Is it going to be
AT&T's SysV R4 and nothing else?

						Curious.

pjc@vms.macc.wisc.edu (paul j. campbell) (01/12/90)

In article <Jan.11.14.46.13.1990.1608@revenge.rutgers.edu>, trudel@revenge.rutgers.edu (Jonathan D.) writes...

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (01/13/90)

>Speaking of which, what's the latest information about future OS
>versions on Pyramids.  Which Unix will it be?  Is it going to be
>AT&T's SysV R4 and nothing else?

Unofficial observations from the trenches:

SVR4 is well along, of course; AT&T sponsored a booth at the November UNIX
Expo where Pyramid and a half-dozen or so other companies demonstrated SVR4
on their machines. Since Pyramid's whole strategy is based on *commercial*
standards, and SVR4 will be *the* UNIX of the 90's, you will see SVR4 as the
focus of future development at Pyramid. Rather than, say, Mach, or 4.4BSD.

OSx will be around for a long time, though. Besides all the installed base
that will need upgrades and support, it will take a while for all the options
we've added to OSx to be ported to SVR4. Since many of us old-timers under-
stand OSx better, sometimes we'll also develop something for OSx first, and
SVR4 later. (This could also depend on customer demand.) And maybe some SVR4
features will be snuck into OSx as well.

<csg>