[comp.sys.pyramid] tip doesn't always delete its lock files

KSpagnol@massey.ac.nz (Ken Spagnolo) (02/08/90)

I have tip configured to use ttyi07 to get somewhere.  While in use,
/usr/spool/locks/LCK..ttyi07 exists, which should be deleted when tip
is exited.  However, the lock file only gets deleted if the user is
in the daemon group!  Wierder still is that the non daemon group user
has no problem deleting the lock manually after exiting tip.  Can
anyone explain this?  Some relevant facts:

/usr/bin/tip     -  mode = ---s--s--x, owner = UUCP, group = daemon
/usr/spool/locks -  mode = -rwxrwxrwx, owner = UUCP, group = daemon

Thanx.

--
Ken Spagnolo - Systems Programmer, Postmaster, Usenet Administrator, etc.
   Computer Centre, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (02/10/90)

In article <542@massey.ac.nz>, KSpagnol@massey.ac.nz (Ken Spagnolo) writes:
> Wierder still is that the non daemon group user
> has no problem deleting the lock manually after exiting tip.  Can
> anyone explain this?  Some relevant facts:
>
> /usr/bin/tip     -  mode = ---s--s--x, owner = UUCP, group = daemon
> /usr/spool/locks -  mode = -rwxrwxrwx, owner = UUCP, group = daemon
                             ^----Probably supposed to be a 'd'.

Here's my /usr/spool/locks:

drwxrwxrwx   2 adm      daemon       512 Mar 25  1988 /usr/spool/locks
       ^^^
       |||--- These accesses give anyone the ability to remove a file
              from the directory.

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek

KSpagnol@massey.ac.nz (Ken Spagnolo) (02/12/90)

Yes, I realize why anyone can delete files from a 777 directory.  My
original posting was poorly worded in that this seemed to be the main
point, perhaps.  I only though it a bit strange because I figured there
might be unusual permissions on /usr/spool/locks which prevented the
deletion of the tip lock file upon exiting tip.  Thanx for all the
automatically.