[comp.sys.pyramid] Quotas

jonas@his.UUCP (Jonas Mellin) (02/26/90)

In our organization we are using a Pyramid 9810 with the OSx verion
4.0 for education.  We are adding and removing lots of users each
year. To prevent the undergraduates from filling out the diskspace by
mistake; we have given each of them a quota (fairly large).

My problem is that than I removed a users, i.e. from /etc/passwd and
all of the users file I cannot get rid of the quota entry. The old user-
ids pops up in a the report the /etc/repquota command produces.
I suppose that if I remade the quotas from scratch I would get a new set
of quotas, but I am not really interrested in that (to much work).

Does anyone know of a way to remove the users entries from the quota
file or is it changed in later versions of OSx?

Disclaimer: Even a blind man may know how to C.
   /      /  /    /   /\  /    /      /| /|	|E-mail: jonas@his.se
  /      /--/	 /    \  /    /	     / |/ | 	|UUCP:   ...!sunic!his!jonas
 /      /  /	/    \/ / /  /      /     |	|Phone:  +46 500 77646
/______________________/  \_/ onas /      |ellin|Fax:    +46 500 16325
Snailmail: Jonas Mellin,Hogskolan i Skovde, Box 408, 541 28 Skovde, Sweden

jpd@pc.usl.edu (DugalJP) (03/02/90)

I believe the quotas file is indexed by UID.  So even if a user is purged
from passwd, u_universe, group, etc. etc. he'll have a non-zero entry in
quotas unless you do something like this before removing him from passwd:
	edquota -p root loginid
which copies the root's quota entries to the about-to-be-deleted user's
entry.  I assume root has no quotas established!

You may want to also check for mailboxes, at jobs, secretmail, etc.
belonging to the users you delete.

Regards,
-- James Dugal
--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@w5ddl

linda@cc.brunel.ac.uk (Linda Birmingham) (03/06/90)

In article <551@his.UUCP> jonas@his.UUCP (Jonas Mellin) writes:
>In our organization we are using a Pyramid 9810 with the OSx verion
>4.0 for education.  We are adding and removing lots of users each

I found the same thing irritating and it is one of our sites SR's with
Pyramid. However, under 4.1 there is a different quota system. I
suspect it still doesn't remove users from it's quota file though.

I haven't tried it yet (we had a bug which crashed the system every time
we said edquota).

BTW, do you use 'nu' or 'adduser' to add users or have you got something
else. I am trying to find out what options are available. We have used
nu for years and think it's time for something new.

Linda Birmingham, Brunel University.

--
Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex, England.
janet: linda@uk.ac.brunel.cc |  :-)