[comp.sys.pyramid] In/Out Modem on the same tty port ?

car@trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) (05/25/90)

In article <733@massey.ac.nz>, GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) writes:
> I made a recent posting to comp.unix.questions regarding the use of a
> single modem for both incoming and outgoing use.
>
> Solution 2 implied it would never work unless 'getty' were replace by
>            'uugetty'.
>
> Can anyone tell me a) is it possible to do what I want, and b) if it
> is HOW does one do it.

I've written a UUGETTY package for System V Release 2 UUCP. It allows me
to use the modem for both dial-in logins and dial-out UUCP.

I run it on my Nixdorf Targon M35/50 (Pyramid 9810).

It isn't totally clean - but it works OK.

I've Emailed a copy to Glen, if anyone else wants a copy - just let me know.

car.
--
Christopher A. Rende           Central Cartage (Nixdorf/Pyramid/SysVR2/BSD4.3)
uunet!edsews!rphroy!trux!car   Multics,DTSS,Unix,Shortwave,Scanners,StarTrek

GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) (06/14/90)

I very much appreciated the discussion posted by <csg> in response to
my earlier posting.

I have since received a copy of acucntrl from Pyramid Australia and a
program called uutty from comp.sources.  I haven't tried the acucntrl
stuff but have played with the uutty code all day.  It seems to solve
the problem of the modem and the login process jabbering away at each
other but doesn't fix the tty contention problem.

The tty has crw-rw-rw as its rights but when tip tries to access the
line it gets

/dev/ttyi20: resource busy
all ports in use

it gets the same message when run as root.

I must be missing something really simple.  I had thought that Unix
was supposed to treat devices and files the same, if the permissions
allow shared access then shared access is possible, the onus being on
the programs to ensure that they do sensible things.  This would
appear to be correct for files but not for ttys.

  Glen Eustace, Software Manager, Computer Centre, Massey University,
   Palmerston North, New Zealand. Phone: +64 63 69099 x7440 GMT+12
             E-Mail via Internet: G.Eustace@massey.ac.nz
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (06/15/90)

In article <773@massey.ac.nz> GEustace@massey.ac.nz (Glen Eustace) writes:
>The tty has crw-rw-rw as its rights but when tip tries to access the
>line it gets
>
>/dev/ttyi20: resource busy
>all ports in use
>
>I must be missing something really simple.

Yes. It's called TIOCEXCL. Some process has the tty open (you can use fuser(1M)
to find it), and that process has set the exclusive use flag.

<csg>